Thursday, June 26, 2008

Three More from June 1969

I'm back with three miscellaneous photos from June, 1969! Starting with this nice shot in Tomorrowland, showing the complex series of Monorail beamways, Peoplemover ramps, and Autopia overpasses that crisscrossed over the Sub Lagoon. There's a Peoplemover now, in a lovely shade of 1960's aqua (or is it a 1950's aqua?).


I'm not entirely sure where this photo was taken, but those colored lights overhead (in the upper right) were near the Mine Train and Casa de Fritos. I believe the Fritos restaurant is just to our left, mostly out of frame. Some folks are taking rest beneath a shady arbor covered in flowers. Is it Bouganvilla? Having had the misfortune to have to cut back some Bouganvilla, I know that it isn't very people-friendly, what with its inch long thorns. Anyway, this looks like a pleasant place to take a load off of weary feet and do a bit of people watching.


For sheer thrills and and hair-raising fun, there are the speedboats of Storybook Land! You can't tell from the photo, but this boat is moving at about 200 miles an hour. It's a miracle that the Photographer managed to catch it in the frame! Notice the kid in the front with the mouse ears. No, it's not a hat, those are his real ears.

4 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Nice colors on that bright June day. The blue People Mover gliding over the lagoon looks peaceful.

Major Pepperidge said...

Ha ha, thanks vdt! I feel like today's post was pretty weak (oh yes, I can admit it!), but I do appreciate your nice comment! ;-)

I'll take all the encouragement I can get.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Weak? No way, anytime vintage Disneyland photos brings a smile to my face, I'm a happy customer...

Futurama said...

Those lovely ladies appear to be taking a load off their feet in the always respiteful "El Zocalo Park". When Indiana Jones opened the line would extend from Adventureland to El Zocalo. A sign was added in the last ten years designating the location's name. Presumably it was named after El Zocalo, the main plaza in Mexico City.