Saturday, September 22, 2007

Saturday Post

Things have been busy lately, so I kind of feel like today's post is a weak one. But it's better than nothing!

First up is this photo from 1969 showing the exterior entrance to the Enchanted Tiki Room. I think I see the Barker Bird up there, although I thought he would have been gone by '69. Also note the travel posters in front, for United Airlines which still sponsored the attraction.


Here's a colorful view of a submarine as it emerges from the tunnels that contained Atlantis, the North Pole, and that crazy Sea Serpent. Presumably the photo was taken from the Peoplemover (?). The subs were 10 years old, and you can see that constant exposure to water has taken its toll.


Old Dobbin pulls a streetcar down Main Street in this 1964 image, past INA's "Carefree Corner". This ride never seems to attract many teenagers. Those darn kids are more interested in sex and violence! Have you heard those awful rock and roll bands that they listen to, like The Beatles?

4 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

You should be proud of these views. They are nice. I believe what you see is part of Uti the fishing god, not the barker bird.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey I like these views too! Is that red head in the first shot Lucy Ricardo! Wow, the rust on the sub looks my old 63 Plymouth I had in Highschool! Cool Pics, thanks!

Major Pepperidge said...

Matterhorn, I'm sure you are right, now that I look more closely. That's what I get for being in a hurry!

And "vintage", I also thought of Lucille Ball when I saw this lady.

Unknown said...

Love the first shot, MP.

I think the shots of the park signs and the entrances to the lands are the best!