Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More Knott's Berry Farm, 1960's

Time for more Knott's Berry Farm fun, this time from the 1960's. I love this busy street scene...this is one lively ghost town! The eucalyptus trees surrounding the park are probably the remains of old wind-breaks from the farms that used to be on this land. Next to the old wagon, an Indian chief appears to be waving to a small child. I like the sign informing the public that there was a "photo spot" set up just for them.


Next is an exterior of the Bird Cage Theater, circa 1963. Mom, pop, and Aunt Marge pose in front of the theater, which showed vaudeville-type performances for many years. I haven't been to Knott's for so many years, does the Bird Cage Theater still stand? The bulldozers have been busy.


I have no idea why they made such a creepy sign for the entrance, doesn't this top-hatted figure look like he should be working with Dr. Caligari? He probably represented the classic villain from melodramas like you'd see in the good old days.

10 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

I think the Indian is checking his watch to see if he is late for his next performance. The Bird Cage theater is one of the places young Steve Martin perfected his acting and comedy chops. I saw that he is publishing an autobiography which may include stories of Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm.

Merlinsguy said...

Hey, great photos. A closer look will reveal that the sign says, "Live Entertaiment." The calligrapher must have run out of room.

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but FYI Major, check out http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/rocket_moon_takes_off-78752.html

Shall we say "Amazingly similar to your April 1st post"?

Major Pepperidge said...

Matterhorn, I had a chance to read an advance copy of Steve Martin's book ("Born Standing Up"), and he does go into his Disneyland and Knott's years at some length. Those chapters are great, and I really enjoyed the rest of the book! I believe it officially comes out in November.

Thanks for the "heads up", anonymous...It would have been nice if that guy had given me credit for the picture, but that's the internet for you. I'm trying to decide if I want to comment on that message board....or not!

Anonymous said...

I would.
And include your URL from April.

Merlinsguy said...

Oh, and to the left of the theatre is the little bandwagon where Mae Mennes played the Calliope.

Anonymous said...

Love the “Picture Set #10” sign. Hey folks, take more pictures, it’s OK! And while you’re at it buy more film!

Knotts was a special place.

Makes me think of the Disneyland Picture Spot signs which were so classy – the little metal silhouette of the man with his camera sitting on the edge of the frame.

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading Steve Martin's "Born Standing Up", and thought I'd mention that these pictures are from the time when Martin was performing at the Birdcage, and he actually specifically mentions the "Live Entertaiment" sign, seemingly somewhat fondly. Though I'm sure others have done the same, you might consider sending these pictures to him, he might enjoy seeing these. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!!! gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com rocks!

Connie Moreno said...

Wow, I never realized that this Bird Cage looks almost identical to the Bird Cage in Tombstone, AZ!! I was at Knott's yesterday for breakfast and decided to walk around after eating. How sad that Ghost Town is now off limits - unless you pay, of course.