Thursday, September 27, 2007

Mystery Park, 1965

I found a group of slides from one family, they visited a lot of Southern California attractions including Disneyland and Knott's. But this little park is a mystery to me! It certainly looks like Southern California, in fact another photo (not posted) shows what looks like the ocean in the distance.


The rides are mostly "off the shelf" carnival rides, such as the tilt-a-whirl and little car and boat rides that go around in circles. This miniature train fascinated me due to its resemblance to Disneyland's "Viewliner". Does anybody know anything about the "South Shore Pacific" railroad?? In the first photo, that tunnel looks exactly like the antique papier-maché tunnels they used to make for little toy railroads.


I'm not sure that lavender would be my first choice of colors for a li'l train, but who am I to judge! This small amusement park probably didn't last very long, but I'm sure glad I have some photos of it. I'll share a few more sometime in the future.

11 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Chris M. probably will have an ID for the park. The train is a zoo train similar to the Portland zoo train.

Anonymous said...

This looks like any number of little 'parking lot parks' that were sometimes seen in shopping centers around So Cal back in the day. This particular one has the feel of Ventura area or Santa Maria perhaps.

Chris Merritt said...

Larry Nikolai & I were looking at this today - it's obviously a cheap knock off of the Viewliner!

I have no idea where this park was - but I bet Bud Hurlbut would know who made the train... I'll print these out & ask him next time I see him.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chris, that would be fantastic! It's funny, Disneyland's Viewliner was probably forgotten by most people...

If we can ever find out what this little park is, I will definitely share it with the readers.

Anonymous said...

Could this possibly be the old Roy Roger Museum in Apple Valley? That large dark building in the second shot kinda looks like it.

Major Pepperidge said...

Anonymous, this park appears to have been near the ocean. There is another view in which you can see it in the distance...I should have posted it, I guess!

Jason Schultz said...

Bob Gurr chimes in with, "My....THAT is mysterious"!

Anonymous said...

According to a quick archives check, the train was built by Ray Maker of Oakland, CA, who also built the Oakland Zoo train.

Anonymous said...

I have two trains built by Ray Maker.. I was told he built eighteen locomotives. I would like to find more information on exactly what Ray Maker built...

Elmalatina said...

Unless someone has already identified this, this is Gold Coast Amusement Park at South Shore Beach in Alameda, CA. Closed down in the early or mid '70s. Very fond memories.

Lynn said...

Yes, South Shore in Alameda ... where the post office is now. Great memories!