Saturday, October 19, 2024

The Magic Kingdom

I have a number of Magic Kingdom photos for you today, from two different batches. The first three are from July, 1974. 

First up is this "Souvenir Guidebook Worthy" photo from Adventureland, with a Summer crowd milling around Adventureland.  Maybe the folks walking toward us just watched the Tropical Serenade, (aka the Tiki Room). Where the birds sing words and the flowers croon! 


If the sun had cooperated, this next picture would also have qualified for "Souvenir Guidebook Worthy" status. But a rogue cloud has cast its evil shadow over the land! It's still a nice image though, Main Street USA is bustling like nobody's business. They must have gotten a deal on American flags (at Honest Fred's Flag City), nearly every building has one. Cinderella Castle looks suitably impressive here.


There had clearly been one of Florida's frequent downpours later in the day, but it was all over now. The wet street gives it a "movie set" feel,, and the buildings of Main Street look great in the glow of the late afternoon sunlight. I'm sure the humidity was top-notch.


These last two are from August, 1977; both show some of the Little Pigs (but not all three, as one of them was doing his own thing with his eccentric artist girlfriend). Below is what I imagine is the Piper Pig, because he's wearing sailor's duds, and sailors always play the fife. ALWAYS. The kids love him and need to touch him. The girl with the red hat might even be licking him. The price of fame.


Next is my favorite of the Li'l pigs, the Practical Pig. He told me that I can freeze lemon juice into ice cubes and then it will always be available when I need it. That's so darn practical! His eyebrows make him look stern, but it's just because he cares so much


I hope you have enjoyed today's Magic Kingdom photos!

4 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
Those pigs are definitely 'show stealers'-! I may have to get a set to liven things up at my estate.

Thanks, Major.

Lou and Sue said...

”I'm sure the humidity was top-notch.”
Major, that’s definitely one way of saying it, while leaving out the cuss words.

Boy, those poor pigs. EVERYONE has to touch them!

Fun trip to WDW, thanks Major.

JB said...

The Main Street image: They grow buildings TALL in Florida... to make up for the low/flat landscape. I was there (WDW) once, in the mid seventies. I forget how much taller these building are compared to Disneyland.

Piper Pig: Oh yes. Red hat girl is definitely licking the Pig. You can tell by the startled look on the Pig's face. I'm envisioning the kids getting out of control and ripping chunks of the foam costume off... just because.

Practical Pig: It looks like Dad is getting into the foam ripping business after watching the kids do it. I'm guessing he just wants to see what the ear feels like. Is it vinyl or foam?

A pleasant day at WDW. Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

In the first pic, the kid in the lower left corner looks like he's making f*rt noises with his armpit!

In the third pic, seeing the lady with the hot pants and yellow halter top reminds me of a memory of being at DL in the rain. She's holding one of those paper merchandise bags, and I remember those did not hold together well, when it rained. We'd go into any of the shops, and they would replace our wet bag with a dry one.......for a $5 charge. Kidding, but if they still had paper bags, today, I just betcha they would charge for a replacement!

Thanks for the vintage WDW pics, Major!