Monday, October 07, 2024

Leftuggies

Hooray for Leftuggies, they really hit the spot. This first view is from March 1962, and man-oh-man, Town Square is virtually deserted except for the four folks in the foreground. At first I wondered if this was taken when the park first opened, but lights are on in the distance, so it must be late afternoon/early evening. Imagine being there when it is this empty! Notice the Moonliner sneaking in (though the "TWA" had been removed at this point).


Over at the Opera House,  the "Babes in Toyland" sets were on display. I'm not sure if this drummed up much of an additional audience for the film (which I have not seen, but am told that it is a tough watch). Still, the idea of seeing actual movie sets must have been somewhat exciting, and it was a way to provide an inexpensive exhibit.


Next is this photo from April, 1964, looking North on Main Street. The Horse-Drawn Streetcar is heading back to Town Square, I'd love to know how many people take that vehicle Northward as opposed to Southward? To the right, the Eastman Kodak shop. I'd go in and order a hamburger just to make them mad. The lady with the stroller is wondering if she can outrun the Streetcar. 


 

4 comments:

Nanook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nanook said...

Major-
"... I'm not sure if this drummed up much of an additional audience for the film (which I have not seen, but am told that it is a tough watch)." That's a 'hopeful' way of putting it.

I watched it about six seeks ago, and the first thought that came to mind was a quote from when Camelot ran on Broadway... "you go out humming the sets" - or words to that effect. (In other words, it was no My Fair Lady). And ... ... Toyland was only that much worse - a convoluted story [what little there was of it] plus that insipid music, with one song piled atop another one. But, it DID look quite good. I did see the sets when they were in the Opera House, but I'll be damned if I remember the experience. I do like the snappy decorations placed outside the Opera House beckoning park-goers to venture inside.

Thanks, Major.

JB said...

Wow, it really IS deserted. Even most of the trashcans have left for the day! Leaving just one lonely can behind. At first I couldn't figure out why the Moonliner looked sorta square and boxy. Then I realized that the 'cockpit' is sticking out to the left, making the Ship look less streamlined.

"Babes In Toyland": The song, "The Forest Of No Return", along with the scary trees, was a favorite scene of mine. That, and the automated toy-making machine... and the ray gun that shrunk people (and things). The rest, I don't really remember. (Probably for a reason, like Nanook said.)

"The lady with the stroller is wondering if she can outrun the Streetcar". And the elderly couple behind her are betting each other whether she makes it or not. Man, that's some get-up her stroller-riding son is wearing! Horse blanket chic! With an olive drab sweater... Ohhh myyy.
Major, when the Kodak employees tell you, "Sorry sir, we don't sell hamburgers here." Reply with, "Oh. Then I'll just have a chocolate shake instead." I'm sure they would appreciate that.

The eeriness of the first Leftuggie gave me a little indigestion. But seeing the second photo cleared it right up! Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

I liked everything about Babes In Toyland except for Ray Bolger hamming it up all over the place! Oh, and the two Laurel and Hardy knockoffs! But Ann Jillian is great in it! She plays a waitress who works in a restaurant at the top of the Bonaventure Hotel. Or maybe that was something else that she starred in.

I was trying to figure what was spelled out over the entrance to the Opera House. I think it says, "The Toy Maker's Shop," "Babes In Toyland Village," and "The Forest Of No Return."

Thanks, Major!