Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sleepy Sunday

Neither of today's photos will set the world on fire, but I think they are slightly better than my usual Sunday fare! Both are from August, 1967.

This is almost a postcard-worthy photo, though the olive trees encroach just a bit too much. This is why I don't like olives! And I don't like coconut either. Likewise, I can only stand ginger in small doses. Wait, what were we talking about again?

The Plaza looks pleasantly busy; there are enough people to add energy and interest to the scene, but not so many that you wish you were someplace else. And I love the spots of vivid color from some clothing, like the Fruit Stripe Gum shirt to the right, or even the tiny pink Mickey balloon in the castle archway.


Looking to our right is the world-famous Matterhorn. The Monsanto House of the Future is still present, though only for another four months or so. 


7 comments:

K. Martinez said...

What I really like is the roped in lawn area in front of "House of the Future". Are there any lawns left in Disneyland? Thanks, Major.

Nanook said...

Major-

Let's see now - Olives: check-! Coconut: check-! Boy, just you wait, Major - have I got that special culinary something, something that will be simply irresistible. (Think olive and coconut PIE-!! Yummy-!)

In the meantime, it's hard to go wrong when visiting Sleeping Beauty, to wear a great big pink hat, with white scarf-? attached. Unless, of course, it's a Fruit Stripe Gum/5-Flavor Life-Savers shirt. Although I did hear tell 'Briar Rose' is partial to Pep-O-Mint...

Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, clearly these photos have galvanized the Disney fan community! ;-) Now that you mention it, I can't think of many lawns, except for in front of the Haunted Mansion...

Nanook, I always figured I could never be a famous television chef who yells at people, because there are too many foods that I'm not fond of. My inner 4 year old still controls me. I can eat olives, and coconut, but they kind of ruin whatever they are in, in my opinion. And yes, "Life Savers" would have been a better comparison in reference to that shirt!

TokyoMagic! said...

Ken, my eyes went right to that rope around the HOTF lawn. I think it looks a little tacky. A half-dozen "Keep Off The Grass" signs would have sufficed.

Chuck said...

Love that Monsanto sign in front of the lawn. I'm sure it was always there, but I never noticed it before.

That red "M" - like the Goodyear, Bell System, GE, and INA logos - brings up warm and fuzzy feelings almost as nice as the Disneyland sign.

Anonymous said...

Great to see a Kodak Picture Spot! When I finally get around to building one (never) this will help me with the layout of the "suggested" pictures in the frame.

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, they should have used good old-fashioned barbed wire - preferably electrified.

Chuck, I feel the same way, “Monsanto” will always have that Disneyland association, even though (to most people) it is practically the very definition of a big, evil corporation.

Anon, I’ll have to dig out my vintage Disneyland/Kodak flyers, I can’t remember if there are maps showing the locations of all of the Picture Spots. If not, you need to make one! ;-)