Friday, July 14, 2017

Wonderful Tomorrowland, September 1958

Today I have two beautiful photos from Tomorrowland, circa 1958!

Let's start with this unusual angle looking northwest-ish; I believe that our photographer was standing in front of the Space Bar, more or less. The Astro Jets are readying for takeoff, and a colorful string of Skyway buckets heads into the distance, with no Matterhorn to be seen yet.


Zooming in and looking carefully, we can juuuuust see the Viewliner station, and what might be just a sliver of the blue (Fantasyland) Viewliner train.


Next is this lovely image, with the impressive Moonliner, flanked by giant bird of paradise plants, which add an interesting Venusian to the mid-century futuristic land. How do I know what it's like on Venus? Don't ask!


There's Walt's customized Autopia vehicle - I wonder if there was a sign telling guests exactly what it was? At the base of the rocket you can see a banner bearing the words "Thimble Drome", where the Flight Circle was. The fingerboard to the right lists such enticing exhibits as "The World Beneath Us", "20,000 Leagues Show", "American Dairy Association Dairy Bar" and... the public telephone.


FYI... I'm heading out of town starting today, and I'll be gone the whole weekend. I won't necessarily have great Internet access, but I'll try to check in at least once a day to respond to comments. Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

K. Martinez said...

The second pic with the Moonliner is perfection. The overhanging structure on the left peaks my interest. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Perhaps it's the photo composition or color tones, but the TWA Moonliner in the center of 1950's Tomorrowland activity is a beauty. Thanks, Major.

Scott Lane said...

I'm with Ken, that picture is postcard-worthy. Have a good weekend, Major. Thanks again for all you do. (and belated thanks to Irene and her brother for yesterday's images)

Chuck said...

Poster alert in the Moonliner photo, which makes it even more awesomer.

Enjoy your weekend, Major!

Chuck said...

Oh, and happy Bastille Day, everyone!

Major Pepperidge said...

I’m not leaving town for an hour or so… time to respond to some comments!

K. Martinez, I love both of these, but I agree, photo #2 is pretty awesome. I wonder if that overhang is out in front of “America the Beautiful”? Thanks for pointing it out, as I didn’t really notice it before.

Scott Lane, thanks, and you’re welcome!

Chuck, ah yes, the wonderful Skyway poster, along with a smidgen of the Santa Fe RR “Main Street Station” poster. Don’t you wish you were in Paris to see the big parade today? Have a happy weekend.

Nanook said...

@ Ken/Major-

That overhang is part of the building housing The Art of Animation - which I don't believe was there in 1958.

Thanks, Major.

Nanook said...

And I should have added... That would be the entrances to Space Station X1 and The World Beneath Us.

K. Martinez said...

Major, I love all Disneyland photos, but #2 just has what I like to call that 'sense of wonder' feel to it. It's Walt's Tomorrowland full of hopes and dreams for the future. There's nothing quite like Disney Futurism.

Nanook, Thanks for the info on the overhang. I like the pattern underneath the overhang and it really drew my attention immediately as I've never noticed it before. Unique angles provide new discoveries.