Sunday, July 23, 2017

Random Images

I'm using up two rather uninspiring scans today!

First up, the Bazaar in Adventureland, circa October 1963; a place that has sold more rubber snakes than any other store in the world. I just made that up, but it must be true. It also sold woven goods such as hats and handbags, along with rubber-tipped spears, and maybe even a novelty shrunken head or two.

I just noticed the birdcage near that upper window, do you think the bird inside is real??


Next comes this view (from the Skyway) dated October 1961; we're gazing down on Storybook Land, and the little French village where Cinderella and her evil stepmother and smelly stepsisters lived. The landscaping is lovely; and I've always loved that winding, perilous road leading up to the pink frosting fairytale castle at the top of the mountain. 


7 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Oh, most-definitely that bird in the cage at The Bazaar is real. It turns out due to his uncontrollable behavior, he failed to make the cut to perform in the Tiki Room, so he was relegated to that outdoor cage where he is free to attack unruly guests. (It's best not to litter in that area...)

I also like the winding road up to Cinderella's Castle in Storybook Land, and in this image we get to gander at most of it.

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

Where is Cinderella's pumpkin coach? I don't see it on that bridge. Or was it added after 1961?

K. Martinez said...

The Adventureland Bazaar pic is pretty cool! It's rare to see the corner portion of the building prominently featured like that. Nice set today. Thanks, Major.

Unknown said...

Storybook Land is still one of my top attractions and that's a great shot today.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, there is nothing worse than an out-of-control animatronic bird!

TokyoMagic!, I looked at a few photos of the castle in Storybook Land, but didn’t see the pumpkin coach in any of them. Hmmmm!

K. Martinez, yeah, it’s pretty good, just wish it wasn’t so darn dark. But… that’s why you’re seeing it on a Sunday.

Patrick Devlin, it is a classic attraction, I hope it never goes away.

DrGoat said...

The Bazaar was one of my most favorite spots back in the real days. Maybe not the record for rubber snakes, but rubber shrunken heads might make that grade. Dad would always spring for one. The attrition rate was high with those for me.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted a rubber snake, never got one, much less a shrunken head.

I made up for it by buying myself a Shrunken Head tiki mug at Trader Sam's.

I'm not sure when the pumpkin coach was added to Storybook Land, but believe it was fairly "recent". Maybe 80's? It's a cute detail.

This little attraction and the complexity of the interlocking trains and boats is probably the best thing in Disneyland and possibly the one from the opening day least changed over the years. I just love it. I don't mind the addition of Aladdin, Little Mermaid or Winterfell (whatever), since keeping somewhat up to date for new youngsters is important, and they have been very delicate about it, IMHO. It's a little odd that Beauty and the Beast and Tangled didn't get in somewhere though.

Thank you Major.

JG