Sunday, November 02, 2014

Hippo and Crocs, 1960

I always feel guilty posting photos of the Jungle Cruise hippos and crocodiles. But… not guilty enough to NOT post them! I sleep like a baby at night, too. Basically what I am trying to convey is that I am a sociopath.


Early footage of Disneyland shows the mechanical crocodiles on a contraption that allowed them to swim in circles; I'm assuming that didn't last for long? As far as I can remember they generally just sit there like lumps and open their toothy mouths at passing boats. Lazy!


3 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

The original Crocodiles were quite proficient performing the Virginia Reel, and the Imagineers were merely trying to convince the Crocs' to try 'other' terpsichorean endeavors. The Crocs' almost mutined before the imagineers reneged and soon thereafter the Crocs' added the Hokey Pokey to their repertoire.

Thanks, Major.

Chuck said...

Sounds like they started out trying to support a circular argument when it was really an open-and-shut case.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, when thinking of crocodiles doing the Virginia Reel, and I can't help picturing them in Scarlett O'Hara-type gowns! Giant hoop skirts and the like.

Chuck, you are ready to punch up the scripted dialogue for the Oscars! ;-)