Thursday, November 20, 2014

Greatest Hits - Fantasyland

Here's another selection of "greatest hits" from the past - this time we'll concentrate on Fantasyland.

This first image is from a badly damaged slide (originally posted in 2007) - it took some considerable effort in Photoshop to get it back to a presentable state. And it was worth it, as it is one of my favorite images (reminding me of guide book pictures). The sense of motion is nice, and the lady's smile is really what sells it for me!


A family de-caterpillars from the Alice in Wonderland dark ride in this 1966 photo. I love those vehicles SO much - but would really like to know what other concepts (if any) were considered before they settled on the snooty larvae. Maybe a Cheshire Cat vehicle? That would have been pretty cool too.


This 1962 photo appeared in my 900th post at the end of 2008; it features the lovable li'l Midget Autopia. A single car winds its way through a beautiful flowered landscape that reminds me of some of Mary Blair's artwork for "Alice in Wonderland", for some reason. It really does feel as if we're in a dream.


11 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Those first two really are wonderful. The 'madras cloth' shorts on Dad, and the new, sensible, white tennis shoes on Mom-? Aunt Polly-? look as if she put them on while going down the rabbit hole. There's nary a mark on them.

Thanks, Major.

Chuck said...

I don't want to wake up.

Thanks, Major.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

I agree with Nanook, very stylish folks in the first photo. And little Opie looks like he had fun too.

Nice shot of the Vertically Challenged Autopia (the PC police might be watching).

K. Martinez said...

The first image is a winner! It reminds me of the type of photos found in the "Walt Disney's Disneyland: A Pictorial Souvenir and Guide" booklets from the 50's and 60's. Nice set today. Thanks, Major.

Melissa said...

A rare picture of that red-letter day when Ronny Howard, Princess Margaret, and Stephen Hawking rode Alice in Wonderland together.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, we can be thankful that dad didn't decide to wear his short shorts that day. I think that lady must be grandma, but you never know. Now that I look at the photo again, it seems likely that the folks in the back are a different family altogether.

Chuck, I know how you feel.

Alonzo, wait until Opie gets back to Mayberry! He'll be the envy of all the other kids. I hope he doesn't get into a fight with the jealous bully.

K. Martinez, I think the only flaw is that the guy isn't quite at "maximum grin", which the guidebooks required.

Melissa, Stephen Hawking overheard Ronnie Howard talking to Prince Margaret about Dark Energy and black holes - he stole all of Ronnie's theories!

Tom said...

Hard to imagine that first picture came from a badly damaged slide. You did an amazing job restoring it!

Great pics. Glad I'm not the only one who decided carrot top in the third pic was Ronnie Howard. I can hear him singing about "Gary, Indiana" right now...

Major Pepperidge said...

Tom, I am sorry that you are hearing "Gary, Indiana"… Ronny was adorable, but man, that song. Oof!

rudyfan1926 said...

That first slide on Dumbo is fabulous for so many reasons. You're right, her smile and his sly smirk make the photo. You say it was badly damaged, you did fabulous work! Thirdly and finally, the Dumbo behind them is empty and the lack of crowds and strollers behind them!

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

Beautiful restoration Major, and I also love that Dumbo photo. She does indeed have a bit of a magnetic smile. I just want to go back in time and spend the day at D-land with that couple.

Major Pepperidge said...

rudyfan1926, thanks! I didn't notice, but I'll bet that there aren't many empty Dumbos these days. It's amazing how popular that simple ride still is!

Monkey Cage Kurt, that lady reminds me of my paternal grandma, or rather of photos that I have seen of her when she was young. If there was a time machine that could take me back to 1960, I can only imagine how giddy I would be while walking around the park.