Sunday, June 22, 2014

Six Awful Photos from August, 1969!

I have started scanning a large lot of photos from August, 1969. There must be at least fifty slides in the lot - - maybe more. And some of them are very nice. BUT… some of them are "head scratchers".  What were they aiming at? Why did they feel the need to capture this scene? We will never know. Still, the more pictures you take, the better your chance is to get at least a few good ones. And this is from the days of film, when every frame was precious.

Let's start with this shot from Tom Sawyer Island, next to the suspension bridge. I suppose that little shack was of interest - barely. 


Also on the Island is this rushing brook, running from the top of a hill to the Rivers of America. It's a detail that is not often photographed, and now we know why.


OK, these next three really puzzle me. Part of the problem is the blown-out contrast, but even so…

I think this is part of the waterway that runs between the entrances to Frontierland and Adventureland and Main Street. It probably would be a pretty picture if it wasn't so washed out.


Nearby, another ho-hum view...


… and yet a THIRD try. Save your film for Tomorrowland, folks! It's worth it!


The sign above the entrance to Fort Wilderness might be a worthy subject, but this is just a bad attempt. Or maybe they just wanted a picture of Old Glory.


I hope you have endured these photos!

7 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

I think if you Photoshopped several layers of the images, you might be able to create an entirely new Land.

Think about it...

PsySocDisney said...

I do like the long conga line of people filing down the suspension bridge. The August 1969 date makes me wonder if these people got to see the new Haunted Mansion?

Chuck said...

The third through fifth photos may have been the photographer's attempts to photograph an elusive animatronic periscope, sort of like the fish that used to spring out of the water in the old Bear pool along the Big Thunder Trail. Unfortunately for the photographer, WED never installed an animatronic periscope for this spot.

Tom said...

I'm going to be glued to this series, since August 1969 is when my family first went to Disneyland, and for some reason decided not to bring a camera. Ho-hum or otherwise, I like all the photos!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, it would be a new land, but it would be a horrible land!

PsySocDisney, YES, I have photos of them in line for the Mansion. The metal signs on the brick columns are bright and shiny (if you know what I am talking about).

Chuck, that’s as good a theory as any. I just don’t know why they thought that the scene was worth TWO (and really, three) photos of the same general area.

Tom, fortunately there are a few actual good photos in the bunch, but the percentage is kind of low.

PsySocDisney said...

Awesome! I do indeed know what you are talking about! Hope you get to post those soon!

Melissa said...

Bodies of Water I Have Known