Thursday, June 19, 2014

Classic Frontierland

It's time for some more "greatest hits" - from Frontierland (both dated August 1957)  this time!

I love this fantastic photo of one of the Conestoga Wagons; it's in the corral where the Stagecoaches also loaded/unloaded. Pack Mules can just be seen in the background. The wagon looks so tidy, with its burnt sienna paint and blue wheels. The tools and boxes stuck on the outside of the vehicle add to the richness of the scene. I presume those are clydesdales hitched to the wagon? 


Here's another favorite of mine, taken from the top of a Keelboat, which is unique to my collection. The girl wears a "coolie hat", while the boy sports a train engineer's cap. Everything about this picture is awesome, the ropes, the wooden benches (already worn by thousands of butts), Fowler's Harbor in the distance, the speaker on the mast, and the wonderful folk art decoration next to the kids.


11 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

I think the U.S. should add an official holiday, and call it Coolie Hat Day. Who would object-?

Both pictures are beauties. Although, I don't think the horses are either large enough or have substantial white stockings (and heavy feathering about the fetlock) to be Clydesdales. I just wanted to use 'fetlock' in a sentence.

Thanks, Major.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Nice photo from atop the keel boat (you said butt,hehe). I don't think I've ever seen that view before.

I think they should bring back the Coolie hat but shaped like Space Mountain (with Osha required hand rails of course).

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, those are the mini-CLydesdales that were bred for the space program. I'm sure you remember now! As for coolie hats, I even felt uneasy just writing the name, even though it is "accurate" (as far as I know).

Alonzo, I have to admit that I don't recall ever seeing another picture taken from the top of a Keel Boat! And wow, a Space Mountain hat is a good idea!

Tom said...

The top of a keelboat! Wow - a first for me too. Great photo! Now we need one from inside the Conestoga.

Chuck said...

I'd love to see a photo from the bottom of a keelboat as well.

Anonymous said...

Folks...those are Belgians. Got one in a nearby pasture.

Chuck said...

Don't be silly - Belgians don't wear conical hats.

Dean Finder said...

I heard that WED invented Belgians so Walt could have 5/8 scale Clydesdales for Main Street

Major Pepperidge said...

Tom, it's funny, something like a photo from the inside of one of Disneyland's conestoga wagons excites fans like us, while non-Disney fans would scratch their heads and wonder "Why??".

Chuck, it would be greenish and murky!

Anonymous, now that you say that I am sure I have read that Disneyland uses Belgians. Thanks!

Chuck, don't put anything past a Belgian.

Dean Finder, are they animatronic??

Anonymous said...

Major...we almost bought one that had worked there....honest!

Daveland said...

That's the first time I've seen the folk art on the Keelboat - great find!