Sunday, September 23, 2012

Souvenir Sunday - Knott's Steak House Menu

It's vintage souvenir time! GDB reader Steve Stuart has generously shared today's scans of a 1957 menu from Knott's Berry Farm's Steak House. 

A beautiful Indian maiden (in a full chief's headdress!) - painted by Paul Van Klieben - graces the cover; you can't go wrong with a pretty girl. The menus were clearly intended to be kept by restaurant patrons - or better yet, sent to a frozen family member in a wintery part of the country. Make them jealous and advertise Knott's at the same time.


A brief history of the berry farm is provided, along with gracious welcome notes from Cordelia and Walter Knott. I love how Cordelia was always given her share of the credit for the success of Knott's Berry Farm! She mentions their 900 employees, a fairly staggering number to me, considering how relatively small the Ghost Town was. Of course they also had multiple restaurants, plus all of the attractions, the kitchens that produced preserves and other goodies (a substantial enterprise), and the actual boysenberry farm.


I just love the look of this menu, with the graphic treatment on the right, inspired by Indian textiles (or pottery), and the watercolor illustrations on the left. Dwight "Andy" Anderson was married to Marion Knott, and he managed the steak house. Steve Stuart points out that the $4 Miner's Special Steak sounds like a bargain, but when you adjust that for inflation, it would be over $30! I am hankerin' for some of that Pioneer Beef Stew, along with hot rolls and boysenberry jam. Mmmmm-MMM!


THANKS once again to Steve Stuart for today's awesome scans!

5 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Thanks Steve Stuart! This is great, love the Steak House, old Knotts and the era. Think I'd have what the Major would have. Wonder what the difference was, "Pioneer Style" vs "Buffalo Stew."

Rich T. said...

This has got to be the most charming, warm and wonderful menu I've ever seen. Boy, would I love to take a 1950's $10 bill and time-travel back for the dinner of my life! :)

Katella Gate said...

I want my money back. Catalina Island is upside down.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chiana, "Pioneer Style" means that it was served in a hat.

Rich T, I know... and imagine walking through the 1957 Ghost Town after dinner. AWESOME!

Katella Gate, Holy crap, you weren't kidding! That's hilarious!!

Connie Moreno said...

Wowza! I always wanted to eat at that old steak house but never did. I think something is still there but I doubt it's as good as the original.