Saturday, September 08, 2012

Blimp Saturday

Don't you wish that every Saturday was Blimp Saturday? Maybe that would be too much of a good thing, just like eating a whole package of pork rinds in one go. (I have still never eaten a pork rind, by the way).

I have little info to accompany these pictures, except that they are from the 1950's, and were part of a lot that belonged to a Navy nurse (who also took these pictures). I expect that one (or more) of my knowledgeable readers will be able to provide some facts!

This almost looks like a gag photo, the woman is wearing a giant blimp for a chapeau! Notice the other blimp in the distance, for double the fun. The clouds and flat landscape look very midwestern to me, but I really have no clue.


This next photo gives a better idea of the sheer size of those airships. The gondola hanging below has a wonderful look, part WWII bomber, park steampunk (and all awesome!). Looks like it was a two-level compartment - for passengers? Maybe the pilot flew looking out the top bubble-window, and then landed using the lower windows. All I know is that I want to commute by blimp.


I hope you have enjoyed Blimp Saturday! Hug a blimp today.

9 comments:

Rich T. said...

The world would definitely be more fun with more blimps! Pizza delivery would be more fun. So would UPS. And imagine the lights at Christmas time! :)

D ticket said...

The ZSG-2 on the cabin denotes:
Z lighter than air
S anti sub warfare mission
G Goodyear (manufacturer)
2 model number

135 of these K class airships were built in Akron and used on both coasts.

That's more of a what, than a where. Maybe Lakehurst, NJ?
Fort Smith Arkansas?

Nanook said...

GDB followers are the BEST-! The collective knowledge appearing here regularly never ceases to amaze.

Thanks D ticket.

K. Martinez said...

I'm amazed by the knowledge of this group too. Great pics today!

Major Pepperidge said...

Rich T, I sometimes get a glimpse of a blimp hovering over Dodger stadium (waaaay in the distance), and it always makes me smile.

D ticket, you da man! Great info... amazing. Thank you for that!

Nanook, you said it!

K. Martinez, I thought these were fun too.

Connie Moreno said...

I'm having a T-shirt made that says I LOVE BLIMPS! By the way, I agree with Rich, totally.

Nancy said...

very cool.....I love big stuff! The blimp tiptoeing up in the background is awesome

Snow White Archive said...

I'm a fan of Blimp Saturday. More blimps. These look very cool. They'd make a great indie movie prop and could double as the aerial camera when you want those costly flyover shots of the zombies.

Wow D Ticket! How do you know these things? I have some unanswered Snow White research questions I should send your way.

Anonymous said...

The little bubble at the upper lever was originally for a .50 cal machine gun, and the doors at the bottom was for the two Mk-47 depth charges. The pilot sat in the lower area, and forward. Radio/radar/electronics were in the aft. Max speed was 80 mph. The designation of ZSG-2 indicates this photo would be after 1954. The last K ship was retired in 1959.

CoxPilot