Monday, September 03, 2012

Main Street, February 1960

Whoa, Town Square looks practically deserted in this first photo, and I don't even think the picture was taken that early in the morning (the park probably didn't open until 10 o'clock). At least you don't have to wait in line if you want to buy a souvenir guidebook (25 cents) and a Keppy Kap.


Just up the street (and later in the day) we see folks hanging around the Upjohn Pharmacy. The trees are bare and you see a few fedoras and overcoats, the only signs that this is the dead of winter, SoCal style. Let's stop by the arcade and play some of those unique old-timey games!


8 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Wouldn't it be great to be there when it was not overcrowded?

Main Street at leisure? Old-timey games? Come, let us dawdle!

Rich T. said...

Yay, Penny Arcade! I put soooo many pennies, nickels and dimes into those wonderful contraptions growing up! And that crazy "tired feet" fixer that shook your feet like a paint mixer to get the circulation going!

Thufer said...

I'm looking at the Hills Brothers in that top photo and I can taste and smell the wonderful that has just started.
What a moment!

K. Martinez said...

I like the "Book Candle Shop" sign between the Crystal Arcade and Upjohn Pharmacy.

I used to spend time a lot of time in this buildng before the rope drop. It contained two of my favorite shops at the Park; Emporium and Book Shop.

210Frwy said...

With a little imagination the first pic almost looks like Main Street is covered in a light snow.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chiana, once in a while you'll see a trip report on Daveland or Vintage Disneyland Tickets in which the park looks practically empty, but those are generally from early in the morning. And I SHOULD dawdle and enjoy all of the things that Main Street has to offer.

Rich T., I would have spent a lot more time in that arcade if my parents didn't get tired of waiting for me. I loved it in there!

Thufer, I met a lady who used to work at the Hills Bros. shop, and she said that Walt often stopped by in the morning for a danish and coffee.

K. Martinez; It's a book! It's a candle! It's two great items in one!

210Frwy, ha ha! I see what you mean. It would be kind of amazing to go to Disneyland during some sort of freak snowfall.

Connie Moreno said...

Great pics, Major! The minute I saw that Hill Bros sign, I thought of Thufer, LOL.

Nancy said...

definitely a great place to dawdle...and have coffee!