Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pretty Girls

It's Saturday, and that means that anything goes here on GDB. Anything! The mind reels, doesn't it?

I love today's photos, both featuring pretty girls. This first example is from 1943, with a lovely young lady apparently showing off her new outfit. Perhaps she sewed it herself, since this was taken during WWII and practically everything was in short supply. I'll bet more than a few boys at her school were infatuated with her. How could they not be!


This next picture was part of the same lot of photos, but was undated, and obviously shows a different girl. But I am guessing that it is from around the same time. This young miss is wearing her Sunday finest; it almost looks like she was playing "dress up" with her mom's wardrobe, since it seems a bit large on her. Or maybe she was expected to grow into it, as is the way with kids clothing, even today.


I hope you have enjoyed today's pretty girls!

7 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

For some reason, when I looked at the first photo, I got the idea that she was all dressed up for a Sadie Hawkins dance. As for the second girl, ya, I think they were playing dress-up as those shoes would not have been part of the ensemble - she would have been wearing pumps. Oh well, that's my 2 cents!

Irene said...

Yes I think it's dress up, especially the second photo. I have black and white photos of myself outside in different outfits that I put on just for fun in the 1960's. I notice the houses are different in the two photos. But what really is special to me is that these are from the early 1940's - love the color and "look" of them both.

Melissa said...

I wish the first girl would turn around so I could get a better look at that red detailing!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the second girl; the sleeves are a little bunched up and the skirt is longer than one of that style would have been.

Nancy said...

Pretty girls indeed. Beautiful pictures

I have photos of my mom wearing loafers and those white socks. It apparently was the style of the day, tho I will have to check to see if I have any where she had on a skirt or dress.

I often wish I had lived in that time...

Melissa said...

Women wore socks with skirts a lot during the war, because the silk and nylon for stockings was needed for parachutes and other military equipment. I have a treasured wartime picture of my Grandma in a flowered dress and the stripiest socks I've ever seen.

Major Pepperidge said...

Connie, she might very well be dressed for a dance, although I don't know how you can tell whether it would be a Sadie Hawkins dance or not!

Irene, the two photos were taken at different times (and clearly at different homes)… my guess is that the first picture was taken because somebody's daughter looked so pretty in her new outfit. The second one definitely feels like "dress up" time. But who knows!

Melissa, you are right, if she meant to show off her clothes, you can't see them very well. She's such a string bean!

Nancy, as somebody pointed out, 50 years from now TODAY will be the "good old days"!

Melissa again, I've seen some pretty stripy socks...

Snow White Archive said...

That's some nice rock work in that second photo...oh yes...pretty girls too.