Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Knott's Berry Farm

Today's "Knott's" offerings are all a bit on the underexposed side, leaving the photos kind of dark. But they're still worth looking at! All three are from October, 1967.

First, a look down "Main Street", with Goldie's house of ill-repute, and a sign indicating the Jail - permanent home to Sad Eye Joe. The Livery Stable at the end of the street serves food that tastes livery.  The building to our right has smoke wafting from it... I think that's where the town blacksmith hammered out red-hot horseshoes. 


If you walked down toward the Livery Stable in the first photo and looked to your left, you would have seen a view very much like this one. There's the Bird Cage Theater, and the "Candle Kitchen" is to the right. 


See, I told you these were dark! You can hardly see this little market that sold jams, jellies, and other products that made perfect souvenirs (what's better than a souvenir you can eat!).


11 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

I tink they have great atmosphere, the last especially apropos to Ghost Town!

What was in the shop in the last pic? '[something] trail market'.

fuzzhead said...

Ah yeah, talkin to the dude in jail! I remember my first time, I actually asked him "How do you know my name?" he sez "Oh I know just about everybody round these parts." I was in shock.


TokyoMagic! said...

Is that Catawampus to the left of the lamppost in the second pic? And where is/was that storefront located in the third pic?

Melissa said...

I used to think there was an actual pool of liver in Liverpool.

Allen P said...

Yes TM that is the Catawampus to the left of the lamppost and to the right of the post, in the picture, is the stagecoach that was robbed by Black Bart. In the last picture that is the Mission Trails Market, it is the Casa Arcade today. To the left of the Market is the monkey cage.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chiana, they *are* pretty "ghost towny"! I checked a 1969 Knott's map and found the Mission Trails Market, which helpfully ads "Jams, Jellies". Other than that I don't know much about it.

fuzz head, you mean Sad Eye Joe knew your name? That's pretty cool! I suspect your dad or mom had something to do with that!

TokyoMagic!, I guess that must be the Catawampus! I would have never spotted that. That store was located near the train tracks, not too far from Old MacDonald's (listed on the map as "Animal Fun Farm") and the Seal Pool.

Melissa, mmmmm, a pool of liver. It's like some kind of wonderful dream!

Allen P, you left your comment while I was typing my reply, thank you for the info!

Allen P said...

The tracks that are in front of the Market are for the Cable Cars. Before the park was enclosed the Cable Cars circled around what is now Fiesta Village. Immediately behind the Market would have been the Stagecoach trail then the train tracks.

TokyoMagic! said...

A-ha, the monkey cage! I see it now. Thank you, Allan P.! I remember the monkey cage, but not this market.

Knott'sAfterDark said...

I had wondered where the Catawampus used to reside before he moved to his current location, which is just to the left of the windmill. Wonderful photos as always!

Major Pepperidge said...

Somehow I thought the catawampus was much larger. Oh well. Knott'sAfterDark, I'm glad you liked these!

Lillian K. said...

Great photos indeed and particularly glad to see that Market building (which I don't think is still there) and of course, good old Catawampus.

Thanks Major!