Tuesday, August 14, 2012

It's a Small World, December 30 1969

The tumultuous 1960's were almost over when these photos were taken... the next night was New Year's Eve, and then... hello 1970!

As is often the case, winter days mean blue skies and brilliant sunshine in SoCal. The high temperature was only 65º, so it was a bit on the chilly side even at its warmest. (Thanks again to Jason's Disneyland Almanac)!


I'm so glad that the façade of "It's a Small World" has returned to its original color scheme, as seen here. Mary Blair considered white the most festive of colors, which sounds strange at first, but she knew a thing or two about color. As the building gleams in the winter sun, with gold highlights for added warmth, it really dazzles. The topiaries are awesome too!


The animated mechanical clock is doing its thing (every 15 minutes, folks), making the wait in line go a lot faster. It's so novel to see Disneyland guests so bundled up!


7 comments:

Thufer said...

As I have mentioned before; I remember so well sitting with my dad and just listening to the clock. I think more than any other place in the park, my dad loved just setting and relaxing in the shade and just watching everyone load and unload from this wonderful atraction.

Rich T. said...

Beautiful then, beautiful now! I still get goosebumps whenever I hear the sound effects announcing the start of the "clock show!"

K. Martinez said...

I remember when "It's a Small World" was off by itself on the Small World Plaza with no other visual distractions like the Videopolis/Fantasyland Theater, the Toontown entrance and the toy shop in front of the facade. That's when I liked it best.

I'm glad they restored the white and gold facade. I always thought it stood out better in this color scheme and it provides a nice contrast to the European style of Fantasyland proper.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thufer, maybe my memories are wrong, but it seemed like we always arrived just as the clock was finishing up, or else entering the ride just as it was starting. I wanted to see the entire "show"!

Rich T, I'm the same way... IASW is one of those pure Disneyland experiences (to me) that activates all of my nostalgia brain cells.

K. Martinez, it IS weird to see older long shots in which IASW is way out there, with a huge plaza and lots of empty space around it.

Nancy said...

This is one of the prettiest things at Disneyland. I like the far away view from the Monorail, makes me notice more the fun sculptural details at the top, the Eiffel Tower and the Leaning Tower.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, thanks for these Major, and to everyone for their memories. Especially Thufer, today. I love to hear how our parents enjoyed the parks, everyone's story is different, and yet still the same.

JG

Unknown said...

Great pictures! I took a trip to Disney recently and passed by "It's a Small World." It's remarkable to see that despite the changes the essence of the building has remained intact.