Monday, August 20, 2012

Posters and Town Square, September 1966

It is no secret that I love Disneyland attraction posters; specifically, the original silkscreened examples from the 50's and 60's. And it is always a lot of fun to see them in vintage photos, placed throughout the park in various places over the years - they still have them in the tunnels beneath the train as you enter Town Square. But for years, the best place to see them was right in front of Main Street Station! Like in this great photo, lit by a setting sun. There's the Monorail, Mark Twain, Nature's Wonderland, Matterhorn, Peter Pan, Small World, Columbia, Mr. Lincoln, and (barely) the Swiss Family Treehouse. A fortune in posters, today.


Speaking of Town Square, here it is, as seen on the same day. Maybe they rode the Disneyland Railroad around the park once, and then snapped this photo as they walked down the steps... the sun having completely set at this point. Lots of old ladies are enjoying the Horse Drawn Streetcar, while a Surrey makes its way up toward the hub.


8 comments:

Rich T. said...

When I was a kid in the 60's, those posters did a fantastic job of building the anticipation for the rides, and well as rekindling memories from the previous summer's visit!

It's good to see today's Disney honoring the poster tradition with the new DCA attractions!

Thufer said...

Those are so yummy! TY for a wonderful Monday morning start to the week.

Major Pepperidge said...

Rich, when I started seeing the posters showing up at auctions, I knew that someday I HAD to own at least one. They brought back so many memories!

Thufer, you are welcome!

Connie Moreno said...

That is the coolest shot of the posters I think I have ever seen. Old ladies? Now I'm one of those old ladies, LOL!

K. Martinez said...

Nice second image. I like the simple green lawn look of Town Square here. So different than the floral displays there now.

Rich - I agree. I love the DCA attraction posters!

Nancy said...

I have never seen the Mr Lincoln poster before....very cool!

SundayNight said...

What really struck me (besides the great array of posters) is how perfectly trimmed that hedge is in front of the station. Look at that thing. They must have trimmed it with a pair of scissors. It’s too perfect.

Anonymous said...

Drinking fountain alert! In the second pic, next to the base of the flagpole.