Monday, March 07, 2011

Tomorrowland, May 1960

I don't have too many good photos of the building that housed "America the Beautiful" - maybe because it wasn't the most exciting architectural statement in the world. Sure, it has a giant atomic symbol, which all the best buildings have. And the wavy awning over the entrance makes me think of amber waves of grain. Well OK, not really. But it is part of my beloved old Tomorrowland, and that's good enough for me.


Stepping over to the hub, we look back at the coolest land of all with smiles on our faces and blood in our hearts.

9 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

One word... BEAUTIFUL!

Jason Schultz said...

Flags make everything more exciting. I think I'll recreate the Avenue of the Flags in my cubicle--Major, can you lend me some attraction posters for display?

Unknown said...

These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Thufer said...

Nice Submarine Voyage and Matterhorn poster to the left side.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks Viewliner!

Progressland, I will just give them to you. What do I need those old posters for anyway?

I can't believe I am getting a comment from theelfqueen. A REAL queen, wow!

Thufer, of course I noticed those, but I figured everyone might be getting sick of my pointing them out! ;-)

Katella Gate said...

"Flags make everything more exciting". They certainly do, in a Nuremburgish sort of way.

Connie Moreno said...

"Stepping over to the hub, we look back at the coolest land of all with smiles on our faces and blood in our hearts"

Major, you should write song lyrics.

Pilsner Panther said...

Major, I always enjoy your photos of the future that "never quite happened," whether it's Tommorowland, or the World's Fairs of the 1960's and 70's.

I'd still like to grow up to be George Jetson, but it seems to be a very unlikely possibility at this point.

Nancy said...

again, the photog caught just that little bit of the green leaves in the top corner of the Avenue picture....so nice!

Tomorrowland The Beautiful....i LOVE it!