Sunday, March 20, 2011

Storybook Land, March 1961

I guess it's kind of hard to get very excited by today's photos. So I will refund everybody's money asap. Still, Monstro looks extra shiny because he has been cleaned with new Pledge for Whales, which was only available in stores for a short time.


I'm generally more interested in the "backstage" stuff seen in this photo (with the exception of that tunnel that leads back to the area where canal boats were stored and presumably refurbished). is that long gray building a part of Disney's property back then? If so, I wonder what was in it. Something cool, no doubt. Cheerful little Fantasyland Station can also be seen to the right.

8 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Nice bright 'n sunny photos for a dark 'n wet day! I was going to apply for a refund, but now that I know there was once "Pledge for Whales" I'm a happy camper.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Monstro!

Katella Gate said...

Ahab Approved "Pledge for Whales"... now in "Cetacean Citrus" fragrance... and NO waxy build-up.

Connie Moreno said...

Hey, what happened to my comment I posted EARLY this morning???

:-(

Major Pepperidge said...

VDT, I am only aware of a "new whale" scent for whale Pledge.

Monstro indeed, Matterhorn!

Katella Gate, what the heck is wrong with waxy build-up?

Connie, maybe I accidentally deleted your comment in a drunken haze!

Thufer said...

Mean whale, mean whale!

Chuck said...

That long grey building was where they did periodic maintenance and component testing on the Polaris missiles carried by the Cold War-era grey subs that operated out of the Disneyland Naval Base. My understanding is this is still on the target list for the Russians, just in case Disneyland ever abrogates their portion of the SALT II agreement.

JG said...

Storybook Land, that part behind for boat storage was always referred to as "Never-Never Land, because we "never-never" take you there.

I always wanted to go.

JG