Sunday, March 13, 2011

Submarines, 1960

I guess I can understand our photographer's fascination with the Sub Lagoon in Tomorrowland. It was basically new, and it was certainly impressive - unlike anything that had been seen at an amusement park before. These had turned a scary shade of pinkish-orange, so if you're wondering why they look funny, it's because of my half-assed restoration attempt.


Before Nemo moved in to Tomorrowland, the lagoon appeared much larger, since part of the dark "show building" was extended out further into what was once open to the sky. Here comes the Triton, powered by "new-kew-lar" energy!


And there it goes; even after less than a year, the constant exposure to highly-chlorinated water is taking its toll on the paint of the sub.


No subs visible here, but there's the Monorail, which is really just as good. At the end of the dock towards the center of the photo is that mysterious covered compartment. I think that the theory is that the live mermaids used this for changing or something, but I'm not sure I buy it. Did they even have the live mermaids at this early date?


9 comments:

Thufer said...

What an exciting set. Thank you so much. I love the 'Grays'; and to me, part of the realism and(sci-fi/atomic/tomorrow-ish)charm is the fact that they were stained and showed an amount of wearing.

Orange Co Native said...

The mermaids were there from 1959-1960. The mermaids then came back in 1965 for the ten year celebration of Disneyland. The mermaids last until 1967 and replaced with fake mermaids that were under the water.

1959-1960 and then again in 1965-1967.

I hope that helps.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thufer, I know you love those subs!

OC Native, thanks for the info, I didn't know that the mermaids were there for two stretches of time!

Katella Gate said...

OC Native: I had no idea the mermaids were there for such a very short time. What an impression they made. There can't be that many ex CMs out there that filled the role!

Something I just noticed in the second picture: Notice the nails coming up out of the top of the conning tower. Very small and discrete, probably to keep seagulls from hitching a ride.

JG said...

What Thufer said.

Ditto on the mermaids. I worked for a guy years ago who worked for Disney in that latter time frame, he always reminisced about ogling the mermaids...

JG

Nancy said...

great closeups of the Triton, and the bonus Monorail Blue...life is good! :)

Katella Gate said...

@Nancy: It's a lot like trainspotting, isn't it?s

Connie Moreno said...

Holy smokes, that last photo made me drool all over my keyboard. Thanks for making me ruin my laptop, Major.

I always wanted to be a Disney mermaid...

Chuck said...

"No subs visible here, but there's the Monorail..." Umm...what are those two grey things next to the dock at the right side of the photo? Anybody else see them, or is the haze grey paint scheme that effective at camouflaging them?