Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Subs and the Plaza

Can your earth brains handle two entirely unrelated Disneyland images today?

Love this July 1961 view of the loading platform for the Subs and the Monorail. There's plenty of red, white and blue bunting in honor of Independence Day. Crowds look relatively heavy...check out that bitchin' yellow Monorail! Below that, the Ethan Allen is ready for duty. It is not generally known that each sub carried a live nuclear missile. You can see a couple of those wonderful "General Dynamics" posters, designed by famed graphic artist Erik Nitsche.


Okay, I lied, today there are three images. I decided to try to find a clear image of at least one of those posters, and had success! Feast your eyes upon this baby:


About 10 years ago I saw a group of 4 Nitsche posters at auction, the lot sold for about $500. Since then I've seen his posters fetch up to $1500 each! Live and learn.

This next slide was a bit messed up - - like I needed to tell you. Light leak in the camera or something. Anyway, I think that this is the Plaza Gardens, although it might also be the dining area of the Hills Bros. Coffee House? Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, I can take it.

4 comments:

Thufer said...

as to content, that is just a wonderful shot of the sub dock. don't get me wrong, i am so happy with the return of the sub's, however, the old cold war grays were something special.

Jim Moore said...

Yes, your're right. This is Plaza Gardens! :)

Anonymous said...

Ditto on Plaza Gardens.

From a former Hill's Bros. CM

Anonymous said...

Great stuff.

Hey. Major P. please email me when you get a chance for something I'm trying to organize via The Disney Blog.

-John
www.thedisneyblog.com