Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Alice In Wonderland, September 1959

The Alice in Wonderland attraction opened in March 1958, so it was still pretty new when this photo was taken. Even today this ride has one of the more fanciful exteriors, with its giant garden of colorful leaves and what look like dandelion stalks with the fluff blown away.


For some reason I get the impression that this is sort of considered a "second class" dark ride, even though I love it. There is even talk on some blogs and podcasts about its removal. Unthinkable, if you ask me...Alice in Wonderland is one of the attractions that truly defines what Disneyland is all about, bringing the characters and worlds of the animated films to life in a fun (and trippy!) manner for folks of all ages. Maybe a lot of people disagree?

5 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Wow! Great (and unusual) views!

Anonymous said...

I am with you! Alice is one of my favorite dark rides at Disneyland! It's just fun overall, with cute little visual gags (like the card soldiers)--but the real excitement is the way it is 2-stories and goes outside. That really is a pretty neat setup that no other dark ride really has.

Peter Pan *is* fun, but I think a lot of the other dark rides are snubbed in comparison--and not rightly so!

walterworld said...

I'm not sure why Alice doesn't get the same respect as some of the other dark rides. I'd put it right after Peter Pan and ahead of Mr. Toad in terms of unique and enjoyable ride experience.

Take care!

Matterhorn1959 said...

I would be terribly heart broken in Alice disappeared. Of course all the dark rides are unique in their own way and deserve our patronage. So ride Pinocchio and ride Snow White the next time you are at Disneyland.

Austin Reed said...

I personally consider this ride much more enjoyable than Pinnochio, Mr. Toad, or even Snow White.

I'd consider Monsters Inc, Pooh, Little Mermaid, and Peter Pan about equally enjoyable to this, with maybe Toy Story Mania above any of these rides.