Friday, November 16, 2007

500th Post!

The entire nation is celebrating the 500th post on "Gorillas Don't Blog"! A formation of F-15's will be flying over my apartment later today, and there will be a moment of silence on Capitol Hill. But don't call me a hero! I'm just a regular joe like anybody else.

OK, on to the images for today. First up is one I saved for this special occasion, a fantastic view of the old "Christmas Bowl" area in May, 1958. The sign tells us that it is "World Trade Week", whatever that was. Once again, the idea of showcasing the children of the world in their colorful native costumes crops up. You'll also see this in the early Christmas parades (see my posts from last December), and most famously in "It's a Small World" of course. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a theme that Walt personally championed. Anyway, this photo has great color and fantastic 50's flavor. Go ahead, lick your monitor and I think you'll agree!


The second image is of part of Town Square circa 1956 (love that 50's look). There are Christmas decorations on City Hall, no Disney characters to be seen. The Bekins sign is at a crazy angle, maybe it's windier than it appears.


And last but not least is this nice shot of Rainbow Ridge as the Mine Train returns to the loading area. The cars are newly painted a cheerful yellow for the opening of Nature's Wonderland, which opened in May of 1960 (only two months before this picture was taken). The sun on its way down, giving this scene a warm nostalgic glow.


Many thanks to all of you who read this blog regularly, and a special thanks to those of you who take the time to comment. That's half the fun, and it keeps me going when I feel a case of "The Burnouts" coming on! I can't guarantee 500 more posts, but I will keep this blog going for as long as I can.

23 comments:

Dr. Syn said...

Congratulations &........it's still Thursday @ 9:30 pm. You have to keep going, we still haven't settled the "Mystery Car" post. My thanks for all your efforts!! Cheers!

Stub Winged Bilge Rat said...

Major, Congrats on your 500th post ! I've read through every one, and have enjoyed them all. I'm sure you put in a great deal of your time to keep this going, for which we are very grateful. Keep up the great work.

Chris Merritt said...

Congrats Major!!!! A truly awesome job you are doing with this blog... Best!

Anonymous said...

Your hard work is appreciated. I look forward at the end of every day to checking your blog! Thanks!

spajadigit said...

That last picture of Rainbow Ridge is amazing. I have super 8 footage of this attraction in the early seventies, and the train is decidedly less... sparkly.

Thanks for these!

Daveland said...

What a great selection of photos for your 500th (especially the Magnolia Park bandstand). Congrats!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Major- Congratulations on your 500th post. I know it takes dedication and commitment to scan, write witty comments and post that many times. Thanks for sharing your images. It keeps me going seeing your posts every morning!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up buddy, the photos are always great!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Amazing work! Congratulations on 500 posts! Where is the best seating for the formation of F-15's?

Beautiful posts today, I am still bathing my retinas in the luscious colors! Great time capsule shots, these are the kind you can simply walk right into (at least I do).

Thank you so much for all your hard work and dedication. As others have said, you are an inspiration and your daily efforts are truly appreciated

Anonymous said...

The first thing I do (at work) is check your Blog. Your blog is the highlight of my morning. Excellent work!

Anonymous said...

I always love to read your comments about the pictures. You seem to be interested in a lot of the same things I am. It's so nice to feel that someone else understands what Disneyland means to me. It seems so silly at times when I think about how old I am (I'm 56) My memories of my Disneyland days are a treasure I get out and look at each time I come to Gorilla's Don't Blog.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Not much else to say but I really appreciate all of the time and effort you put into the blog.

Seeing people in their Sunday Best at Disneyland really cracks me up!

Unknown said...

Congrats on 500 posts!

That is nothing to sneeze at. You definitely have a much needed niche filled with this lovely blog.

It keeps us from having to barge into Dave Smith's office to see pictures from Disney's past

Unknown said...

Maybe World Trade Week was all about the kids!

Bring in your own child and trade it for another one from somewhere else in the world!

outsidetheberm said...

You have a GREAT blog here! Thanks for all the hard work! 500 more please.

Okay, now for the nitty gritty...
You've all twisted our arm. We've located a series of family photos taken at Knott's in August of 1977 - We've posted the Antique Auto Ride to help settle the 'big debate'. This shot is a bit blurry but is sequential between other auto ride shots and the Parachute Jump. 100% Knott's Berry Farm. You may click on our studio blog to view.
Thanks for the great debate!
Ken

thepicklebarrel said...

wow! what great commitment! congrats and here's to 500 more!!!!

jordan

elainamack said...

I love that you are able to share so much with the community at large. We appreciate the viewpoint, the wonderful photos and the general good sense you demonstrate in your blog.
THANKS

walterworld said...

Good job Major! 500 posts is quite a body of work.

I'm a daily reader and always look forward to seeing what you've come up with. So...please keep pressing ahead!

Take care---

Anonymous said...

Congrats on number 500! Love your photos and witty banter. Your work is appreciated here.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on 500!! Putting together a blog like this requires more effort than most people realize. Thanks a million. This Christmas I’m planning on sitting back and re-reading all 500 posts.

By the way, have you ever thought about putting together a book of your collection and comments? I would pay money to have a copy. Think about it.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks for all of your nice comments, everyone!

And sundaynight, for a brief while the idea of a book featuring highlights from my collection as well as Daveland and Matterhorn1959 was flying around. But the expense and distribution were expensive, and it was unclear if it was necessary to receive copyright clearance from Disney. And I admit that on my part, I'm just kind of lazy!

Anonymous said...

Anyone who posts 500 daily blogs is NOT lazy!

I’m still hoping for a book…someday.

Amazon Belle said...

Let's not let the book idea die. Disneyland Alumni Club is back up and in full swing. Let's see if something can be done. All the best for the next 500 posts!