Friday, August 21, 2026

Two Leftuggies™

I have a swell pair of Leftuggies™ for you today, starting with this pretty photo of Tomorrowland, circa August, 1958. The sky could hardly be bluer! But it was almost certainly very hot. The Clock of the World is known to all of us, but for normies it is completely forgotten. And it's too cool! Notice the little sign in the planter that says "World Time", just in case people had no idea what that giant cocktail shaker was for. Meanwhile, let's go into he Hall of Chemistry, where there will hopefully be bubbling test tubes full of colored water.


This next one is undated, but probably 1970-ish; we're in the Plaza (I guess, there's not a lot to go by), and guests are thrilled to see Pinocchio. It looks like that little boy might be saying something to Pinoke, but what?? I assume that's Dad hovering close by (with a big smile). 


JUST FYI... I will be out of town for the weekend, starting today, visiting some family. It will be the first get-together since my mom passed, which makes me sad, but I know we will have a good time being together. 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These still smell OK! Hope you have a fine family get-together Major

Nanook said...

Major-
The Clock of the World always entertains - and proves that time-telling is still easier using a sundial-! Love that little girl's-? shirt with the cropped sleeves, ruffled front and Peter Pan collar.

Are we absolutely-certain the 2nd image isn't Walt Disney World-?

Major - enjoy your time off.

JB said...

Ah... Peak vintage Disneyland! It's got all our favorite things:

"Olives on toothpicks.
Clock of the World.
Something, something"


Help me out here, Melissa! We need some lyrics for some of our "Favorite Things"!

There's the Procter & Gamble logo again atop the Clock. The androgynous kid in aqua shorts on the left has me befuddled. I'm guessing 'girl' because of the frilly shirt, but...
This really IS a nice photo, Major! Bright and colorful, iconic Disneyland.

The sweet little kid is politely asking Pinoke, "What the f*** are you, anyway?" Kids say the darndest things. Blue Shirt Kid on the right is about 2 seconds away from being hauled off to the Churro Mines for messing with Pinoke's feather! The guy in back, on the right, is speaking into his walkie to inform security, "We've got a 10-54 in progress at the Plaza. Minor in blue shirt is attacking CM in Alpine costume; over." Meanwhile, the kid in the blue stripy shirt has a pack of Winstons in his pocket.
Really crisp focus in this pic!

Super nice Leftuggies today! Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

I think Nanook is right about the second one being WDW, because of the bigger areas of both concrete and grass. Also, we can narrow down the date to '75 or '76, based on the "1776-1976" shields on the lampposts in the background.

I think that kid is telling Pinocchio how much he admires him, and how he is going to live out the rest of his life the exact same way that Pinoke does.......as a GREAT BIG LIAR!

Thanks, Major. I hope you have a safe trip!

TokyoMagic! said...

Here's more confirmation that the second pic is WDW. The lady behind Pinocchio is holding a WDW Guidebook for either 1975 or 1976. Both guidebooks had this same GAF ad on their back covers. (I posted the entire WDW Guidebook for 1975, back in March of 2025.)

Walt Disney World Guidebook for 1975