Wednesday, August 19, 2026

More Pins From the Bag

The kids are tired of TikTok! They want Pins From the Bag! 

This first pin is special to me, because it belonged to my dad, who was a big fan of Walt Kelly's "Pogo", a comic strip that ran from 1948 to 1975. Dad had around a dozen books (collections of daily strips) from the 1950s that I used to read, and I grew to love Pogo Possum, Albert Alligator, Churchy LaFemme (a turtle), Howland Owl, Porky Pine, and the other denizens of the Okefenokee swamp. After my dad passed away, my mom gave me this large pinback button, which he kept in a drawer with his cufflinks and other "guy stuff".


This next pin is from 1980, when a feature-length animated film was released. I've never seen it! Wikipedia tells us that some of the voices were provided by people such as Ruth Buzzi, Stan Freberg, Jonathan Winters, Arnold Stang, and even Vincent Price.


This next button is likely from the later 1930s or even the 1940s. "Wonder-Cut" bread. Is that the same as Wonder Bread? I get the feeling that it might be a knock-off, but I'm not really sure. The wrapper does have the same multi-colored balloons that I have always liked (though these balloons all have text in them, so...). The best thing about Wonder Bread is the way it sticks to the roof of your mouth.


Many cities around the country had various annual celebrations... winter carnivals, "pioneer days", and the like. This pin is from a 1941 "Aquatennial" in Minneapolis. Knowing nothing about the Aquatennial, I looked it up: The Minneapolis Aquatennial is an annual outdoor event held in the U.S. city of Minneapolis, Minnesota, during the third full week of July. Originating in 1940, overshadowing the teamster picnics (potentially violent events) "to take the minds of Minneapolis citizens off past troubles and focus all minds throughout the state on some pleasant event", the Minneapolis Aquatennial celebrates the city's lakes, rivers, and streams. They still celebrate the Aquatennial to this day!


I've actually shared a photo of this Kid's Ken-L-Klub button back in 2015, but it's in the bag, and international law says that I have to share it again. 


This last one is a favorite, with "Peppy Flame", a natural gas flame who works his (her?) blazing little head off for you! Peppy Flame was the mascot for the Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO) based out of Merrillville, IN and founded in 1912. This mascot was originally created in 1957 to promote the natural gas business and was used in advertising into the 1970s. Peppy’s blue hair is a good sign when using natural gas and is indicative of complete combustion.


There are more Pins From the Bag!

2 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
I didn't know your dad and you were both fans of Pogo. Very nice.

As you kinda surmised, "Wonder-Cut Bread" is indeed the same as Wonder Bread. They used the term "wonder-cut" in their early advertising to brand and describe their specific mechanical slicing method. That 'sticky glop' which often attaches to the roof of your mouth like a plecostomus, is proof-positive of 'over-proofed' bread of the highest order, (and not a feature one really wants in bread) but a characteristic of the 'crummy stuff' often found in lousy baked goods. But I have to admit that 'mouth feel' is not easily forgotten and can conjure-up good memories...

Peppy Flame - sounds like an appropriate name for a gas mascot...
"I'm GAS - and I put other fuels to shame.
I'm friendly, smiling, courteous, too,
Eager to bring my assistance to you.
I work all hours, both night and day,
Quick and efficient, the modern way.
I'm the lowest-priced servant you can hire,
And the only one that will never tire.
I'm clean and dependable, also true blue.
I'm PEPPY and I like to work for you-!"


Sounds like the perfect mid-century "miracle"-!

Thanks, Major.

JB said...

I remember reading, or at least seeing, Pogo in the Sunday comics back in the 1960s. I wasn't very much 'into it' as the subject matter sometimes went over my head. I was only about 10 or 12 at the time. Looking at him (Pogo) now, he looks too cute to be a possum! Possums have long snouts with big nasty sharp teeth! And looong, bare, rat tails!

I get the feeling that "WonderCut Bread" probably IS Wonder Bread. But a very early iteration, touting the fact that the bread is now sliced which, as we know, was a new thing back in the day. Or, like you said, it was a knock-off. They probably used sawdust instead of wheat flour.

"Kids Ken-L-Klub"? A place where you drop off your kids while Mom and Dad have fun? What kind of dog would you say that is on the pin? (Besides 'yellow', Chuck.)

Hmm, "NIPSCO" is just as hard to pronounce as "Northern Indiana Public Service Company". They need a new name! (Including "Peppy Flame", which sounds kinda dweeby to me.) I do like the pin though! It comes in a close 2nd to the 1st place winner: WonderCut Bread! I really like the graphics on that pin!

Nanook, thanks for the "Wonder Bread" verification. Back when we had a tropical fish tank ('70s to '80s) we always had a plecostomus in there to clean up the algae build-up.

Thanks for sharing more of your pin collection, Major.