Monday, August 17, 2026

A Pair From April, 1973

Here's an oddball pair from Spring of 1973. A fine time to visit the park! My family had moved to Pennsylvania by then, so I was looking at my copies of "Disney News" and counting the days before Summer, when we'd probably return to California to visit my grandparents (as it turns out, I did not get back to the park for three whole years!). 

There used to be a flowerbed smack-dab in the middle of The Plaza, and as you can see, it was full of colorful blossoms. I suppose that the powers-that-be considered this centrally-located piece of real estate to be way too significant. "What we need is a statue!". "What kind of a statue, boss?". "A metal one!". "Brilliant!". And that's why the "Partners" statue is there today. People love it, and that's not a bad thing.


I'm always happy to see the Swiss Family Treehouse in Adventureland. Jungle trees somehow manage to absorb sunlight, resulting in dark photos like this one. It's nice to see this attraction looking so busy. I'm noticing a lot of sweaters and coats - it must have been a bit cool, in spite of the bright sunshine.
 

EXTRA! EXTRA!

GDB pal DW found a caricature of himself that was done at Knott's Berry Farm "from around 1975-1977". Very fun! I love that he's at the controls of a locomotive - I didn't ask, but I assume DW must have told the artist that he liked trains? Most true railfans recommend riding a train atop the boiler, the way it was done in the old days. Considering that the artist had to quickly represent an old steam locomotive, and that he was probably not exactly an expert in those, I think his sketch is pretty fun. THANKS, DW!


BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Also from Knott's Berry Farm comes this caricature of Sue B. She said this was from my California trip in the summer of 1976.  I went to DL and KBF, while staying with relatives in California.  I'm positive I had this caricature done at KBF, but there's no KBF stamp???  I had just recently started dating Keith and he drove a 1969 Chevelle...I was a love-sick teenager, missing him while I was away. [Queue in the sappy love songs here.] THANKS, SUE!


13 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Just think, if they hadn't put the Partners statue in the center of the Plaza, the Imagineers could have put the Astro Orbiter there instead of blocking the entrance to Tomorrowland!

That's interesting that David and Sue's caricatures have their names on them, but JG's and mine didn't. And for Sue, they obviously asked her some questions about herself. Unless she shared the part about missing her boyfriend on her own with them.

Thanks for sharing your caricatures with us, David and Sue! And thanks to Major, too!

TokyoMagic! said...

I was thinking that David's caricature looks like someone famous from the seventies. I've been trying to figure out who that might be. Peter Barton, perhaps?

JB said...

I don't really have anything against the "Partners" statue. Although, I think Walt would've been against it. Seems like he didn't want to be edified like that. His park, films, and 'empire' were edification enough. I do wish they would've placed it somewhere else that doesn't block the view of the Castle. Town Square maybe. Or off to the side somewhere, like the Snow White grotto.
These flowers are especially vibrant! The guy on the right seems to be waiting for our photographer to snap his picture before he snaps his.

What this Treehouse needs is a good elevator! I'm sure "The Professor" from Gilligan's Island could've come up with something. Made of palm fronds, bamboo, vines, and coconut shells. Miss Pink looks quite stunning in her all-pink outfit. She reminds me of a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

DW, Ah, the 'big hair' years! Hang on tight to that smokestack! And pay no attention to the smell of burning denim!

Keith? Keith Richards? Keith Partridge? You look good, Sue, zoomin' along in that Chevelle. Apparently this was a convertible. You wouldn't have been able to get your head into the hard-top model! :-p

Nice Disneyland photos, Major. And thanks to DW and SB.

JG said...

Photo1 is the distilled essence of the Plaza. Beautiful flowers, a restaurant named Plaza “Something” (this one is the Carnation Plaza of course), those magnificent horses with their streetcar, a white fluted drinking fountain, and a fancy trash can. All is right with the world.

I know Walt didn’t want a statue, and especially not there in the center of everything, but as Moses found out, people want to commemorate special things and people by making graven images. I’m not a big fan of the Founders statue but I can understand why people love it and why this was the spot to place it. People can leave strict instructions to their heirs on their demise, but those darn kids will do as they will do. I’m a living example.

I sure wish the treehouse was never meddled with, it’s never been right since. All that fuss over such a meh movie. At least we still have pictures like this.

Wow, more caricatures! Tokyo, you are right, David’s caricature looks like someone famous from the 70’s: David himself! Sue, I love the car! I hope you guys still have it! Such fun!

Thanks for this post, Major. I’m glad you got to return to the Park before the 70’s ended.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, I guess we should be grateful that they didn’t put a giant sorcerer’s hat in the Plaza. I don’t hate the Partners statue, but I don’t love it either. However, guests DO love it, so that’s something I suppose. Maybe one particular artist happened to draw Sue and DW, and he asked for the name? Just a guess.

TokyoMagic!, who the heck is Peter Barton? “Someone famous from the seventies”, but the name rings no bells!

JB, Walt would have liked the Partners statue, but he would have wanted rippling muscles. And who could blame him? I agree with you, if they’d set it off to the side, I’d like it more, but people love photos of it silhouetted against the lit-up castle. With all of the water-powered doo-dads, an elevator seems like a minor addition. But papa didn’t want Hans, Fritz, and Ernest (was that their names? I forget) to get chubby, so they had to climb stairs. The “all pink” outfit really is eye-catching. I know adult women who still love pink, and my ex-girlfriend wanted a kitchen that is all pink. Yes, Sue dated Keith Richards!

JG, I think they should have had Walt’s opening day speech spelled out in flowers in the Plaza. It’s a short speech! It’s so strange that we all know Walt’s opinion of a statue or monument to himself, and yet the powers-that-be do not care. It would be one thing if Walt never said anything about it, BUT… we know he did. And even with the advances in AA figures, the one in the Opera House is still pretty limited. Better than it would have been years ago. Still a bit clunky. I agree with you, the Treehouse was perfect the way it was. I’m glad it’s still there, even in its altered state, however!

Anonymous said...

A nice collection of photos. The Plaza as it should be and the Treehouse...just working the turnstile, I was amazed at the water system. OK...so that was like taking a break from the constant collection of tickets, checking guests for no drinks in hand and waiting for a 'bump'. DW and Sue...both excellent caricatures for the times. Sue...the selection of a '69 Chevelle remains a good choice...even today. Hopefully it's still in the garage and a convertible to boot!. KS

Melissa said...

A big CHOO CHOO and VROOM VROOM to David and Sue! Thanks so much for sharing your caricatures! TM!, I thought David's picture had Donny Osmond vibes, but that could just be the big Pepsodent smile the artist gave him.

I think instead of the Partners statue, they should have had a fountain with Mickey in the style of the famous Manneken Pis in Brussels. But, you know, fountains have all that extra upkeep, and water conservation and all that.

There's so much glorious early Seventies sartorial splendor going on under the Treehouse that I think we're going to have to give a rare group Vintage Fashion Award. The embellished suede bag, floral pants, MULTIPLE pink pantsuits, a baby in head-to-toe red, whatever the dude in the flat cap and the Joni Mitchell impersonator have going on... If some guy on roller skates wearing a white Nudie suit and two pairs of sunglasses pops up in the background, I'm not batting an eyelash.

Bu said...

Is that ride operator wearing a Tiki Room costume? or maybe that WAS the costume back then.....I only remember guys working this "ride"...and the costume was very specific, with a cute little hat. or cap....more apropos. ...I also wish the Treehouse was never messed with, but the current mess is actually OK...although I like family Robinson better, and Swisskapolka...and if you go to WDW...you can see the "original"...kind of sort of...and a great view of fireworks...where you are almost all alone...truly! On the topic of "statues"....well, here's how the WDCo sees these things: "Walt Disney" is IP...not a person. They bought his image and his name when Retlaw was sold...so: (my POV only) they see him as a marketing tool, not as the creator....and marketing tools should be used: like Mickey Mouse et al. Note that they did not "buy" anyone else in the Disney family, and perhaps they weren't smart like Walt: who made his name into a "property" rather than : just a name. Bob Iger isn't a bad looking guy...but I don't want to see him in the park as a statue...or Michael Eisner either (no offense boys) ...and I don't want to see any other CEO....like Orville Redenbacker : (also IP)...I could go on. What I do know, because it was common knowledge: is Walt ABSOLUTELY DID NOT WANT A STATUE OF HIM EVER IN ANY PARK OR ANYWHERE. The WORK is Walt's "statue"...the person...that is a wholllleeee other Walt. In addition, "Partners" comes from an art piece that was created by Disney artist Charles Boyer (Creative Services) https://vegalleries.com/art/disneyana/4282/disneyland-theme-parks/partners-charles-boyer-signed-limited-print-id-mayboyer19200 Guess I should have kept mine...I think it was $10 at Cast Activities (?) I don't remember, but I did have it very nicely framed and hope it's in a nice home now. I don't see any attribution to him...or Blaine Gibson...did I miss it? There should not be anything blocking the Castle, as that was very purposeful :to see it in it's entirety. Purposeful by Walt....sooooo....Disneyland is not about statuary of Company employees....it takes you "out" of the berm. Walt of course, was very well known...but, I feel he's being exploited as a marketing vehicle, when he did so much more to culturally change entertainment as we know it in the 20th century. He deserves a statue of course...just not in Disneyland. He has his mark: on the plaque in Town Square. And that is humbly fitting, as the Disney's were quite humble people despite all the hub bub around them. Stop knocking them off like a "big head" character. Just gross...Spend your time on a GOOD Tomorrowland...not on statues please. Thanks Major.

JB said...

^ Well said!

MIKE COZART said...

Like Major I don’t have a big problem with the Walt statue, but I don’t love it either. Despite it being very clear that Walt Disney did not want a statue of him in side Disneyland - or any future parks - there came a situation that resulted in the Partners statue . If fact the entire project was started , designed and created by the last group of imagineers that worked with Walt Disney on a daily basis - and were very much aware that Walt didn’t want such a monument. But by the late 80’s and early 90’s it was very clear there were now more people who didn’t know Walt Disney or knew he was a real person … and the surviving imagineers and studio people decided that a statue showing him as a human -a real person was realy the only viable solution at the time . They didn’t want DISNEY to become COKE , FORD, ZEROX. The loss of knowledge of Walt Disney as a real
Person was already becoming an issue when the Florida project was nearing completion and is why Roy Disney insisted on DISNEY WORLD becoming WALT DISNEY WORLD … to remind the public behind of of this was a person … Walt Disney .
The majority of Disneyland , Walt Disney World , Tokyo Disneyland etc guest never knew Walt Disney as a living person - in fact fewer and fewer people living even lived at the same time as Walt Disney …but millions of Disney park fans see the Walt Partners statue and are reminded that he was a real person once.

Melissa said...

IDK, the idea of people "not knowing Walt was a real person" just never washed with me. There's just such an overwhelming preponderance of evidence out there, and so much of it more convincing than a statue or an audio-animatronic. I mean, what about the endless hours of video content? Generations had already grown up on it; was there some kind of obstacle to continuing to use it? If I put a garden gnome in my front yard, are people going to think he represents a real person, but someone like, say, John Glenn never existed? It just seems nonsensical to me. And ghoulish. And cynical. Like chasing the latest novelty as a cash grab. It feels like somebody said the only way to remember my Grandpa was to dig him up, taxidermy him, and set him on my couch instead of watching home movies, looking at pictures, and talking about him while enjoying the things he made. Maybe the average person really is dumber than I gave them credit for. Or maybe that's just the average executive.

"Miss Pink looks quite stunning in her all-pink outfit. She reminds me of a bottle of Pepto Bismol."

I used to have a linen sheath dress that I really loved - beautiful fabric, perfect fit, made me feel like a million bucks. The color wouldn't have been my first choice, though; it was sort of a watermelon pink. The first day I wore it to work, my boss called me "Miss Bismol."

"Lou and Sue" said...

Though the first picture is pretty, I think those 4 flower colors don't coordinate. The red and purple clash, IMO. A combination of only yellow and purple flowers is still my favorite, like what we'd see in old Tomorrowland.

Yes, DW's caricature resembles a combination of 70s stars, including Bobby Sherman. And Peter Barton, and Donny Osmond. And definitely DW!

Melissa, DW definitely has a beautiful Pepsodent smile. I can't say that for myself, at this moment. I broke a front tooth this past weekend while eating, of all things, a salad. Am serious.

Nope, we no longer have the 69 Chevelle. :o(

Thank you for all the fun comments.

TokyoMagic! said...

TokyoMagic!, who the heck is Peter Barton?

Major, he was in a couple prime time TV shows in the 70s (one with Lou Gossett Jr. and one with Shirley Jones), neither of which made it past one season. But I think he then had success with a couple different soap opera roles (I never watched daytime soaps.....only the weekly nighttime ones).

Melissa, you are right....there is also a Donny Osmond vibe to David's caricature. And I really like your idea for a "tinkling" Mickey fountain! Ha, ha!

I think I've mentioned this before, many years ago.....WDW also has a statue of Roy Disney, sitting on a bench with Minnie Mouse in their Town Square. Tokyo Disneyland has the same statue, just inside the park's main entrance. And Tokyo's "Partners" statue is located at the end of World Bazaar (Main Street) just when you first start to enter the Plaza, so it doesn't block the view of their Castle. Their Plaza is HUGE, so it's not in the way of anything. It is too bad that the powers that be had to put the statue right in the middle of Disneyland's Plaza. They could have put it out on Harbor Blvd, with Walt pointing the way to the entrance of the parking lot.