Friday, October 14, 2022

More CM Hijinks From Ken S.

It's time for another selection of photo scans from Ken S.! It's always so fun to see these slices of life from the lucky people who got to work at the park in those golden days. And Ken has kindly supplied some commentary to go with the photos, so sit back and enjoy!

Last week, I had the opportunity to talk with a former CM over the phone.  It's been 45 years since we spoke but it was just like picking up where we left off.  He was one of my leads, or as we called them, Foreman back then, the Jungle Cruise and Canoes in particular.  Retired teacher now and living about 100 miles away near Eugene.  After all the pleasantries with him and confirming who we knew and where they are these days, he shared that he's a cancer survivor and has Parkenson's.  But known as The Bear, he is still strong and teaches wrestling, something he has been very successful at, not to mention history. He had a great career and has written a book of his life which, among many chance encounters, includes meeting the Beatles in London at a party, and sadly, being in the middle of a mass school shooting years ago which was national news. Life is not always the laughs we have here but it is the laughter that keeps us going.

Afterwards, it reminded me again of the passage of time in these pictures.  It sure flies by...almost like a bucket of cold water in your face.

You know, even with the low cost of employee meals of those days, we always 'shook-down' a CM for loose change now and then.  George and John...standing center and right were such cut-ups, I wouldn't have been surprised they would have announced their engagement.  Those two fed off of each other and the rest of us were along for the ride.  Greg, on the left, got a research PhD, and is still doing his thing at the Vanderbilt Medical Center.  Alex, who lost his money...became quite successful in finance in the Bay Area despite the brain damage incurred here.


Otherwise, I found myself a non-conformist now and then.  Like the time I was captured sitting on the stairs while taking a break from the JC.  This picture was sent to me only a couple years ago by a former CM.  I had no idea of it being taken.  Now who is that young guy in the picture?  This friend is now the president of the Order of the Red Handkerchief.  He nominated me for the club...originally consisting of former Mine Train operators in good standing of which I am one...and is the oldest alumni club at Disneyland.  I am forever grateful to be with those from that era.
And of course, when it came time for the Oreos, I'd have to find some use for them!


Again, the break area was where we would relax and always seemed to fool the food vending machines in getting something free out of them.  One day, the word got out that the machine was unlocked. We accelerated our breaks to get there before everything was gone.  Ozzie, on the left, was one of my favorite partners.  We'd always encounter someone from Foods and do a zany thing or two.  Until then, I always wondered what I'd look like with long, straight hair. LOL.  Sadly, I have no idea the whereabouts of Ozzie these days. Met my future wife in that break area.


But, really, all the guys stayed because of the Disney girls...well, that and all the after-hour parties of course!  Here's a group of them taken late at night in Pirates.  A 'bevy of beauties'...then and now.  One was a summer girlfriend.  Who could fault me for that?


Here are three late additions to today's post, featuring Ken's friend Bob ... a before and after shot just for fun...   Bob must have broken a steering paddle.  Something that happened now and then.


And an early morning shot after a canoe practice...


Bob was a licensed private aircraft instructor during his time at Disney with dreams of being a commercial pilot.  As they say, dreams can come true...and they did... flying 737s and 757s with a couple carriers prior to mandatory retirement.  


THANKS SO MUCH to Ken S. for more photos and great commentary. There are more pix to come from him!

17 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
Again - it's a real treat to see CM's in their 'native habitat' seemingly having the time of their lives. And having a direct connection makes it even more special.

Thanks, Ken-!

MIKE COZART said...

KEN; that stair safety offense is pretty serious. It has to still be reported despite the passage of time. I’m sorry it’s just the way things are and there is now photographic evidence … despite the steps in question that have long since been demolished and that doorway sealed up.

It’s great seeing pictures like these from “back in the day “ after being so used to seeing “sugar coated” and posed Disney News and pictorial guidebook images to remind us these were real people !

I think all those girls were in last nites 1974 episode of BARNABY JONES.

JB said...

Ken (KS), when I read your reminiscences and present-day conversations, I feel as though your old friends are MY old friends, too. And that's a wonderful gift. Thank you for these posts.

It looks like upside-down Alex still has his coonskin cap on. Were those things glued on? ;-)

Haha, were you aware of the "No Sitting On Stairs" sign behind you, and did it because you're "a wild and crazy guy"? Or just needed someplace to sit a spell? Those jungle fatigues you're wearing are how I always think Jungle Cruise skippers should look. A classic.

It's things like the break area vending machine malfunctioning, and the free-for-all that ensued, that make your comments a joy to read.

Thanks so much, Ken. And thank you, too, Major, for having a place like GDB where Disney alumni can tell their stories and share their photos.

TokyoMagic! said...

I love these kind of stories about cast members, and also the "where they are now" info. It's an extra bonus to have the photos, too. I think my favorites are the Horseless Carriage shot, and the one of Bob with the broken paddle "through" his head. Oh, and also the one of Ken doing a "Little Orphan Annie" impression with Oreo cookies!

I remember a vending machine backstage, behind the east side of Main Street, malfunctioning on a daily basis. It seemed like there was just one "selection" that was affected. Once you put your money in just one time (.35 cents at the time, I think), you could keep pushing the button for the same selection, and it would just keep dropping items until that selection was emptied out. We'd come back the next day and it would be fully stocked again. It kept doing that for the entire Christmas season. Sure, we could have reported it to someone, but we didn't.

Thank you so much, Ken, for sharing your personal photos with us! I'm looking forward to more!

Chuck said...

Ken S (not to be confused with Ken M. or Ken-L, who also sometimes grace these pages), thanks for sharing these!

I think back on specific cast members that I encountered as a kid around this time, like Libbie, our waitress at the Blue Bayou in ‘76, or the nice young lady who watched my sister and me while my parents rode the Haunted Mansion in ‘75, and sometimes wonder about the work culture that went into making an employee that pleasant to interact with. Pictures and stories like the ones you shared today help explain that, and also now have me wondering what ever became of them. I hope they moved on to lives as interesting and exciting as those of your canoe, Jungle Cruise, and Red Handkerchief buddies.

Again, many thanks!

DrGoat said...

All I can say is thank you for these memories of that time back in the 60s-70s. What a treat. It is a pleasure to read about your time as a CM and the photos are priceless. It's cool to know I probably ran into you or your crew back then. Who would have thought we could one day share in your history.
Thank you!

JG said...

Ken S, I think Dr. Goat sums up my thoughts here. I wanted to be a JC skipper, so seeing your adventures is the next best thing. And I’m steadfast in my belief that we crossed paths in the Park in one trip or another. I was visiting twice a year during your times and all your assignments were my favorite attractions. I certainly never had so much fun in any job I ever had.

Thank you, and thanks Major!

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, yes, these really are a treat! And having Ken’s commentary just sweetens the deal.

Mike Cozart, the sign says nothing about laying down on the stairs, so that would be my personal way to get around the rules. I would not want “Flagrantly sat on the stairs” to be on my permanent record! And I agree, it’s the candid nature of these photos that makes them so much fun.

JB, I’m glad you liked these. I always think about how lucky some of those CMs were back in those days, when things were still not so regulated. Maybe today’s employees still manage to have some fun, but it is probably not so easy. The jungle fatigues are cool and all, but how about having blood all over them? “I just field-dressed a rhino”. You know, the old story. I love the “fool the vending machine” story!

TokyoMagic!, if somebody had slapped Ken on the back while he had those Oreos on his eyes, he would still look like that today. Kind of hard to drive a car that way, but I’m sure he would have managed. Now I’m wondering what the item was that you managed to get for free! Potato chips? A Zagnut bar? It could be anything!

Chuck, so many Kens! I was once so impressed with the cast members during one of my visits that I actually wrote a letter to the company to say so. I figured it would be a nice break from the mostly-negative letters they probably got! I received a signed form letter back, I hope somebody actually read my note! Meanwhile, the photo of the “Pirates” women reminded me of another trip when I noticed that some of the young ladies working that ride were SO pretty. I mean, real knockouts!

DrGoat, seeing your note makes me wish we could confirm whether you saw Ken, or maybe even spoke to him!

JG, while I wanted to work at the park, I don’t think I ever had dreams of being a JC skipper. I just wanted a cool job! Maybe operating the Disneyland Railroad, or the Monorail. And then I could move up the ladder until I ran the whole darn place! Yes, that would have happened.

"Lou and Sue" said...

"Now I’m wondering what the item was that you managed to get for free! Potato chips? A Zagnut bar? It could be anything!"

Major, I'd bet anything - Dolly Madison Zingers.

Ken S., THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing these photos and stories and, especially, your friends, with us! How cool(!) is it that you have these great photos, capturing so much fun behind-the-scenes. I can't wait to see more.

Thank you, KS & MP!

Anonymous said...

Thanks folks for the comments. It brings me joy to share them as they should be for others to enjoy those golden years with me. I am continually amazed at the clever comments that you all have. Yes...that was my limit of being a trouble maker. I never got a reprimand but I was cautioned once on one of my JC lines. I had a fellow from the studio on board...probably with family on a weekend...who had issues with me comparing a stiff-armed Trader Sam to one of the Dodger pitchers of the day. LOL KS

Melissa said...

#3-those sweet, brown eyes!

TokyoMagic! said...

Major and Sue, I've had a pretty good memory all of my life, so I actually do remember what the most frequent "free" items were. It was a wider "slot" in the machine that was malfunctioning, so it tended to always have larger items. The two I remember receiving the most is "Mother's Cookies," and "Dolly Madison Cinnamon Rolls." The cinnamon rolls were the kind that came two to a pack, and were completely slathered in white frosting. Sue you were close with your guess....the "Dolly Madison" part was right! I wonder if the employees today, can insert a $50 bill into a backstage vending machine, and get one of the company's infamous "Disney Snack Trays®"?

TokyoMagic! said...

Oooops, make that "Grandma's Cookies"! Major, I know, I know....there are no "Take Backsies!" ;-)

Major Pepperidge said...

Lou and Sue, of course! A strawberry Zinger, how could I have missed it? There are more photos from Ken, so we’ll get at least one more post, maybe two!

KS, I’d love it if other CMs from that era got to see your photos, I’m sure they would all get a blast from the past! Hmmm, my knowledge of the Dodgers from that era is not very good, I’m trying to think of the pitcher. Orel Hershiser? Tommy John? No idea.

Melissa, with the delightful cream filling, unlike most eyes.

TokyoMagic!, at least you were getting something healthy! ;-) I can picture those cinnamon rolls in their plastic packaging very vividly. Not that I ate such things, it was only macrobiotic stuff for me. Food grown by elves and gnomes. I’m also picturing a Disney Snack Tray that’s about the size of a credit card.

TokyoMagic!, I don’t make the rules, I just enforce them with an iron fist.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Am enjoying all the fun and laughs, today!

BTW, that sign states, "No Sitting On Stairs Safety Dept."
Ken's safe, he's not breaking any rules. He's a JC CM. That sign's directed to "Safety Dept." ;o)

JB said...

Major, would that healthy, elf-grown food be from the Keebler clan of elves?

Anonymous said...

I like your thinking Sue! Of course!! Major, I believe that was indeed Tommy John at the time!! KS