Wednesday, June 01, 2011

One Man's Trash...

Some people would consider today's items to be worthless garbage. But I prefer the collector's favorite term, "ephemera"!


ephemera: əˈfem(ə)rə - items of collectible memorabilia, typically written or printed ones, that were originally expected to have only short-term usefulness or popularity.

Yep, that just about covers it! Let's start with this very pink bag from Taylor & Hume's Magicland over at the Disneyland Hotel. Taylor & Hume also ran the Magic Shop on Main Street (and, I think, Merlin's Magic Shop in Fantasyland). It's a plastic bag, for garshsakes, so avid lovers of paper collectibles will despise it. But I like it! I got this for 99 cents, and the seller thought it was from the late 1960's. I'm guessing that it could be from the 1970's. Let's go buy some magic tricks and liquor.


Here's a neat little throw-away item (that is, normal people would throw it away) from the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship in Fantasyland. I'd like to think that the white sword was run through a delicious tunaburger. (See the recipe on Kevin Kidney's wonderful blog). There is no date, but it has to be 1969 or before. I love the original CoS mermaid!


12 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I say WOWEEE, to both items! Forget the Magic Tricks and Liquor, I need some Sundries!

What's the story on the sword and COS labels...where on earth did you find those?

Major Pepperidge said...

Chris, it's just one COS thingy, front and back. The magic of Photoshop! I got it on ebay, expecting it to go for a lot (knowing how Disneyland collectors can be), but nobody else bid.

jedblau said...

Love the toothpick thingee. Never had one of those!

JG said...

Oh boy, now i remember the cutlass toothpicks. Only at COS.

Came in all colors, red white blue green and yellow. I had dozens of those, once upon a time.

I wonder if any survived. I think I know where to look.

JG

Nancy said...

now this is my kind of trash...very cool stuff

BLOEFELD said...

That plastic bag is awesomeness personified!

Connie Moreno said...

DUDE! Super awsomeness!!!

"Let's go buy some magic tricks and liquor."

I think I laughed for five whole minutes.

Katella Gate said...

That sword! I'm so jealous, and you all know why. (I had dozens, and now they are all gone.)

Major Pepperidge said...

Gee, I thought the sword was kind of generic, I was all excited about the little paper label! But maybe the tuna boat was the only place with those little swords?

Matt said...

I'm totally diggin' the sword on mermaid card.

Aimée said...

Hi I have a white magicland bag exactly as the pink, about 8 inches tall, do you know how much is worth or if I can sell it to you or your followers? Also comes with a yellow glass blown poodle necklace that says Germany on the clasp that was bought there. Thanks!

Major Pepperidge said...

Aimée, I can't say for sure, if you read my text I got my larger bag for only 99 cents, so unfortunately the smaller bag might not have much value (though you could certainly get $5, $10, maybe even more, you never know with eBay).