Friday, May 02, 2008

Tomorrowland, September 1959

In spite of the blur, today's photo interested me enough that I decided to post it anyway. You can see some colorful flags and the United Nations logo... does anybody have a clue what that is about?? Lots of Tomorrowland attractions (the Matterhorn, Monorail and Subs... I know that you know!) had debuted only a few months before this photo was taken, could the decor be left over from those festivities?

We also see the little Tomorrowland Central Ticket Booth, where you could buy a 5-ride ticket book for $2 if you were an adult. You could get one for your li'l tykes for a mere $1.40! The two ladies at the window have been doing some serious shopping, I sure wish I knew what was in those bright blue bags!


Incidentally, this was taken by my hero who's photos were featured a few weeks ago...

9 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

SWEET ticket booth photo! Hey, your hero did pretty good on this one, although the ground is still featured as is the blur, but I love it anyway! THANKS!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Blurred or not, great picture. Checking on the UN thing. Not finding much. Great post.

Anonymous said...

This is just a guess. But if you say this photo is from September 1959... Wasn't Khrushchev's (much publicized) visit to Disneyland supposed to take place in September 1959 (before it was canceled at the last minute due to security problems). I would think that the Khrushchev trip might be a good place to start--as his U.S. tour was tied in with the U.N. This is the same trip where he gave his famous speech at the U.N.

Major Pepperidge said...

Todd, that sounds like and EXCELLENT guess! And if it's true, it would be cool to know that this is a photo preserving a small bit of that historic moment (or non-moment!).

outsidetheberm said...

Despite the blur, I love this shot. Even without a U.N. connection, it still feels historic! Thanks, Major.

Capt. Tomorrow said...

How I long for the days when strollers weren't the size of a Mini-Cooper...

Anonymous said...

I had a fun time comparing this shot to your April 28 post which was taken from almost the same spot. It was interesting to see how the area changed, especially the landscaping – from the little wire guards to the lush planters.

mr wiggins said...

Great post major! For fun I ran the shot thru a Photoshop motion-blur plugin -- it came out kinda interesting. If you want, let me know and I'll email it to you. :)

Major Pepperidge said...

Mr. Wiggins, I assume that you somehow managed to "un-blur" the photo using a motion-blur plugin (as opposed to the blur filters that come with the program)? I would be very curious to see what your results are, please send me a copy! See my profile for an e-mail address, thanks.