Thursday, January 04, 2024

Ticket Booths and More

I always enjoy a good photo of "pre-Disneyland" - the parking lot, the ticket booths, the turnstiles, and all that jazz. So today's scans are just what the doctor ordered!

This first one is undated, and shows a few folks, tickets in hand (presumably), heading into the park. FINALLY. If the clock on Main Street Station is to be believed, it is only about 1:30, but it looks like late afternoon, so this might be sometime in the winter (everyone has a coat, after all), when the sun sets at around 5:00 PM. Why get there so late?? It's nice to see the yellow passenger cars in front of the train station. Hmmm, there's a sign to our right, I sure wish we could get a better look at it.


This next photo is dated "September, 1962, and once again we are out by the (little!) ticket booths on a beautiful day (though perhaps a bit breezy?). A nice lady poses for her portrait ("Take your sunglasses off, Margaret"), she wants to head straight to the Matterhorn. "I heard there's two tracks and that you have to play basketball halfway through the ride!".


Hey, there's that sign again, this time to our left. It's so frustrating that we can't see it!


Luckily for us, Davelandblog has a great photo (used with permission) of that very sign, in a photo dated "August, 1962". See at on Dave's blog HERE. As you can see, the sign advertises (warns?) guests that they can expect construction around the park, particularly in Adventureland, where the Sacred Elephant Bathing Pool was added to the Jungle Cruise, and where the Swiss Family Treehouse was being hatched. The Tahitian Terrace also debuted that year, and there were additions to the Indian Village. Lots of big changes were going on!


7 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
It would appear the sign beneath the "more exciting new adventures..." billboard is announcing currently-closed attractions, such as:
The Jungle Cruise
Mine Train - Rainbow Caverns
Tom Sawyer Island

But not too worry... "There are 30 attractions operating today". Whew-!

Thanks, Major.

JB said...

So, I guess all of today's photos are from 1962, including the first, undated one; since they all have the same sign. Except, the first pic also has that lower part of the sign (that the others don't have). I can't make much of it out, but there's something about the Jungle Cruise and Tom Sawyer Island. At the bottom it says "There are 30 attractions operating today". I suspect that the Jungle Cruise and TSI are closed on this day. [Edit: Nanook beat me to it... as usual. But I'm not angry. Nope. No siree! Not at all... (JB wipes his tears)]
"30 attractions"... I wonder if they count each of the pack mules as a separate attraction? ;-)

Thanks for the "pre-Disneyland" pics, Major.

JG said...

I remember shifting back and forth from one foot to the other waiting to get our turn at the ticket booth. Then wheedling Dad for the 15 coupon ticket book (which we never bought until I was in high school, I think).

Reserving a spot online and activating your pass with your phone is not the same anticipation.

I thought the sign might have featured Mowgli on the lead elephant from Jungle Book. Glad Daveland could clear it up. It’s like one of those signs you see in a dream and can never quite make out the text.

I notice in photo 1, there is a yellow sign for a “Disneyland Passport” that is replaced in the later pics (including Daveland) with a yellow sign for the 15 coupon book.

Questions arise:

1. What was the Passport? Was this just entry and no ride tickets?
2. Do these photos somehow span the introduction of the 15 coupon book? When did that version first go on sale?

Thank you Major, for this puzzle wrapped in 1962 fashions.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, the good news is that the Shooting Galleries were still open! I wonder why Tom Sawyer Island was closed? It’s too early in the season for Yippies.

JB, yes, I’m sure they are both from ’62, I just felt I should mention that the first one had no date on it. Maybe it was from a month or two earlier or later. You have to comment pretty early to beat Nanook in the comments! As far as I’m concerned, each mule has his or her own personality and makes the attraction unique. “Buttercup” is gentle and nice, while “Stinky” might scratch you against a bush as you pass.

JG, ha ha, my dad didn’t like getting the most expensive ticket books either, and sometimes we would have to go and buy another ticket book part way through the day. Well, that happened once to be honest, but it was kind of fun to hold a fresh new ticket book halfway through the day. I’m sure I’ve seen that graphic that is on the sign, with the elephant pushing the letters - it must have been in another Disneyland publication. Believe me, I looked and looked, but couldn’t figure out where I’d seen it. Interesting about the “Disneyland Passport”, unfortunately I don’t know the answers to your questions. I didn’t know they had passports back in 1962! I have a 15-coupon ticket book from 1957 (complete) in my collection.

Melissa said...

" I wonder why Tom Sawyer Island was closed?"

Closed for Tom and Huck's funeral?

LTL said...

JG, interesting question about Passports.

i found this page describing the Passport -- scroll sown to 1962.

offered for a "limited time ", Passport holders can get access to all attractions.

Major, sorry, Passports do not include Shooting Gallery. Also, thanks for these photos of one of my favorite parts of the visit as a kid: knowing you'll pass thru the turnstile any minute.

Anonymous said...

LTL, wow, thank you!

So the daily pass was an early idea. So interesting. Looks like it was withdrawn sometime in 1962, then.

JG