Thursday, January 11, 2024

BU TOUR GUIDE PIX

Well! Today's post turned into something much bigger than I ever anticipated, thanks to GDB friend Bu! As most of you know, Bu was a Tour Guide back in the good old days; when I met him in person about a year ago, he handed me a bunch of envelopes full of photos and documents from his personal archives that he was (presumably) happy to be rid of, and I was happy to receive! Among the many photos (some of which you have already seen) was a set of group portraits of Tour Guides from six different years.

When I decided that it was time to share some of those, I sent a jpeg to Bu and asked him for a few stories or memories, if he had any; I expected three or four notes. Instead, he provided a fairly comprehensive list of names, and personal recollections that he had of almost every person. WOW! After 40+ years, a few people were not included, but it's pretty astonishing that this was all in Bu's brain! I tried to organize it in a way that makes it as easy as possible to figure out who's who. Any errors are definitely my fault - if there are corrections or additions from the Junior Gorillas, please chime in.

Here are Bu's comments on the initial scan: That was my second year of plaid: 1983.   1982 is when Cicely was out (off to the Ambassador Program), and new mgr: Larry was “in”.  It was quite the transition as Cicely was very much a historic “Walt" fixture.  Larry was from the Parking Lot (et al) and was great fun to party with.  We all drank a LOT in those days.  His kids went to work at the park, and then his grandkids…and I think I remember reading a newspaper article about that…will have to look it up.


I made an annotated version of the photo:


I figured that it would make things a bit easier to deal with if I broke the photo down into three sections. Here's the left section!

Don: Don’t have too many memories: but I think he went on to become a major historian and a big educator in prominent colleges.

Kara: Another top 4 Ambassador contender.  Her dad ran a major drug store chain in California.

Richard:  Guy next door went on to Disney University, then to the University at the Studio, and eventually overall head of WDCo HR until his retirement fairly recently. Richard and I did a photo shoot for “Disney Imagewear” when Disney was plugging itself as a uniform maker to other companies.  We did the shoot in Marty Sklar's office at WED…I think I’ve told the story about them sewing me into my costume (Contemporary Resort front desk) and them having to reach through the fly of my pants to make sure my shirt was totally tight with not the slightest hint of a wrinkle. The things you endure as a model.  I think we actually had to change right there too…those costume people don’t care as I remember, as they just want their costume looking perfect.  I’m not sure if Major has posted that particular photo yet…

Beth: Many of us attended her wedding which was the day of Candlelight.  It caused a big ruckus.  Do not show up late on this day.  Ever.  A long story for another time.

Peggy: From "Lost and Found". One of the few with a “nickname” name tag which was VERBOTEN.  Her name was Margaret, and I learned from her that Peggy is a common derivative of the name “Margaret”.

Dorothee:  Guest Communications ‘sup, and daughter was face character Snow White. I think there have been pictures of her here on GDB. She would get the complaints and the compliments.

Addie: Guest Communications: I worked with her a short time before she moved on to the film business.

Brigitte: Took me to the most amazing party in Malibu that was featured on “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous”.  The Fifth Dimension provided the music, Lions tigers and bears (really) and a seal swimming in the pool.  Don’t forget the helicopter rides…

Allison: Taught me how to make cookies with no recipe.

Chiaki: Went on to a gigantic PR firm.

Ellen: Later became Disneyland Ambassador.

Kay: "Lost and Found" lady.  Her daughter was a TG before my time.

Louise: Her large family was a well known old Anaheim family: the Truxaws.  The family lived in what is now “The White House” restaurant in Anaheim.  The house was built in 1909.  Fun fact: ultimately the “Cosmic Inn” Stovall's bought the house later.  There’s some interesting stories about the house: check it out. When it was raining, she always remembered to tell me to “remember my rubbers”.

Maureen: Taught me the “essence" of sparkle.  She did it very well.


Don: The guy who developed the original Fast Pass and IT guy before IT was a thing, and we conducted business basically in a little more than cigar boxes. Best buddy at the time, and for a long time. 

Larry: Hired me - he’s in the blue suit in the top row. Supervisor.  Succeeded Cicely (Rigdon).  Big shoes to fill.  His kids and grandkids both went on to become Disneyland Employees.

Bruce: I did “dip” with Tour Guide Bruce (tallest guy in the back row in the center) at a party at Sally’s house, and after my head stopped spinning, I think I was hung over for days afterwards….(haven’t done dip since: so much spitting!!).

Sonia: Her sister was also a “legacy” TG who moved into Marketing that I did some photo work for modeling.  Sonia went onto a lovely life of caring for animals in need.

Karen: Major radio DJ in LA since the late 80’s and still going strong.

Jan: Also Disney University/HR.

Mindy: Disneyland Ambassador.

Sharon: Went on to marry a GM exec the year we were giving away cars.

Erin: A favorite.  Had many good times together, and she later married another TG and former WDW JC Skipper.

Sally: Her dad directed the Tonight Show, Greg Louganis trained in her backyard Olympic size pool.  She also taught me to make bread.

Suzn: Knew the SOP like the back of her hand.  Don’t challenge her, she knows.  Despite that, a very warm heart…and also made the cones for the original “cone shop” when it was down past the Market House.

Cindy: Now big wig at Paramount. She was with Mrs. Disney on her very last trip to Disneyland on the 4th of July (just prior to the Eisner/Wells regime)  along with the Millers (there’s a lot of them) and watched the fireworks from the balcony of the apartment.  It’s a very sweet story where Mrs. Disney was holding Cindy’s hand and said as the fireworks went off: “I miss my Walt”...  We partied hard at many clubs in OC, and still made it into work “normal”.  Danced till we dropped.

Tina: I remember “Teen Queen”…and I’m not sure why.  She was the one that informed me “NO READING IN THE PHONE ROOM”.  As we were to sit and wait for the phone to ring ONLY.

Lori: Went on to the Disney University and a long career in HR.  Won a fortune on game show “Press Your Luck”.

Kathy: Was a classic Hungarian beauty, and spoke it fluently.   Old school TG from the 70’s.  Comp booth queen.  Knew all the Disney execs from her years in GR.  A class act.

Pam: I don’t remember her too much, but she went on to Cast Activities at the Studio after being in the top 4 of the Ambassadors. I think she has a blog of her own…from a slightly different perspective than GDB. Forget the name...

Maria Elena: Driven career woman: I am SURE she is running something big now.

Ricki: Not sure where she went onto…but was featured in a couple of Company publications.

Diane: Went on to a long career in the Airlines.

Lori: Was at Disneyland for 40+ years into the 2000’s, in many leadership positions. Also: VIP tour guide to anyone who was anyone.   Still looks exactly the same btw. In fact, many of these ladies still look exactly the same... Lori had the ability to coax amazing stories from celebrities.  She should have probably gone into investigative reporting.

Deanna: Her family had one of the oldest houses in Orange County. It looked haunted, and it was super cool, and we had the most amazing Halloween party there: with TG’s in extremely elaborate costumes.


Wayne: I’m sure he went into politics.  Worked as an intern for a major (and controversial) OC Government official during his time at Disneyland.  Wore a lot of “Polo” cologne.  It was popular then.

Matt: Pretty sure he still works in transportation at the Studio - will have to look that one up. He was with Guest Relations for a long time prior. Worked in GR for a while, then went to the studio in Transportation (I think) where he is still (I think).  Taught me how to tie a Windsor knot.

Kellie: Coke Terrace to Guest Relations to Lawyer.  Statuesquely tall. A co-fan of Sheila E’s “Glamorous Life” and the Thompson Twins.

Bu: “Yours truly”

Janet: Married a project manager from WED who headed Star Tours/Capt. EO, Euro Disneyland, etc etc.. Another party girl.  Taught me how to classically dance, do a back flip…first one to have a cellphone before it was even a “thing” as her dad was a big wig in Military.  She would bring it to the beach and people would freak out.

Anne: There is a story here, but I don’t remember: I will though.  Something with a celebrity? 

Alexis: Another classic OG: Still looks EXACTLY the same.

Johanna: A task master for sure.  Don’t mess with this one.  Rules were meant to be followed.

Patty: Won millions from the CA lottery

Barbara: Went on to Character Fan Mail (yes, it’s a department) and then onto documentation (where anything legal or otherwise printed is written and vetted), and then a long career with Disney. Has done some Disneyland history podcasts, 

Robin: I remember her, and there is kind of a “famous” Disneyland photo floating around that features her: will have to look that up.

Cecile: Won the Showcase on Price is Right: boats and cars and things. Another top 10 Ambassador contender.

Cathy: Old school TG. Small but mighty, and heads her own modern dance company.

Robin: The most amazing penmanship; she addressed all the envelopes for the invitations to the Candlelight Procession.  YES!  Everything was hand written!


In addition, Bu mentioned that all of the Tour Guide photos were taken by Renie Bardeau. Renie took many famous publicity photos. Like this one!


And this one, possibly the last official photo of Walt Disney.


I can't thank Bu enough for all of his help with today's post! I know there's a lot to absorb, but I have the feeling that the Junior Gorillas are going to enjoy it. There will be other Tour Guide portraits to come, but those probably won't have the level of info that this one has - I can't do that to Bu, it would be too cruel. 

13 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
Whew-! Such a spread. I'm on information overload. Such talent - and all in just one department. (Oh the stories this group could tell...)

Thanks SO MUCH to Bu (and The Major) for this yeoman effort. It is much appreciated.

TokyoMagic! said...

I really enjoyed reading all the cast member stories. My biggest takeaway from all of this is, if you want to win the lottery, or win BIG on a TV game show, become a Tour Guide! ;-)

Thank you, Bu and Major!

JB said...

Wow, Christmas came a little late this year! And what a great Christmas present this is. I lapped it up like a Disneyland feral cat. Now I know what it's like to be the proverbial "fly on the wall" hearing interesting details and 'juicy stuff' about Disney CMs.
I'm sure I speak for other Jr. Gorillas when I say that we're truly fortunate to have an insider like Bu giving us his reminiscences (I had to look up the spelling of that one) of his time with the Park. And now the whole world knows! Well, us... and the ten other people who read the Major's blog. ;-)

The part about Mrs. Disney was particularly touching.

Name drop all you want, Bu; I find it fascinating. And it just goes to show what small world it is, after all. Thanks so much for this. And to you too, Major. You're the conduit through which we receive all this info; and in a most delightful way.

JG said...

Wow, a treasure trove. So. Much. Work. This post will require several visits with multiple screens, the iPad is too tiny.

What a great looking group, and Bu standing in there like Robert Conrad. I can hear the Wild Wild West theme in the background.

Thank you Bu and Major for a glimpse behind the curtain!

JG

Anonymous said...

This was fun to read and a great commentary on the quality (and dare I say character) of those we CMs had the pleasure to work with during our time with the Mouse. Throw into it a little chance and circumstance and you learn how their lives have gone. I can attest that several of those names and faces look familiar from the 70s. So many of my generation still stay in touch, having had successful careers and family experiences. Media, sports, business, entrepreneurs, medicine, civil service...you name it. It was a great experience which lasts forever. KS

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, yes, it’s a lot to take in! Just make a mug of cocoa with mini marshmallows and enjoy it slowly.

TokyoMagic!, I thought the same thing! Those are some lucky people. Maybe achieving the job of Tour Guide was the first sign of that luck.

JB, I was going to share two official Tour Guide portraits, but in this case, one was plenty! Which is OK, now I have content for the future. And yes, “ten people” is not that far from the mark. Seriously. I was just watching a YouTube video that proclaimed that “nobody uses Facebook anymore”, and Facebook didn’t really become a thing (even though it technically existed) until several years into my blog’s life. So it’s already “uncool”. I guess Blogger is prehistoric.

JG, there were a LOT of emails exchanged between me and Bu for weeks, mostly be trying to be certain about who was who. Or sometimes I had the wrong info tied to a person. There still might be mistakes, but if there are, I am sure I made them!

KS, I hope (for their sake) that at least some of today’s Disneyland employees experience the same esprit de corps that you did, and that they can use their time at the park as a springboard to bigger and better things.

MIKE COZART said...

I remember Kay at Lost & Found lockers!! She was the first person to ever tell me the possible name of the new log fume attraction was probably going to be “Splash Mouhtain” - I thought she was joking.

Louise appeared in one of the Disney Costume Look guides …..

Thanks Bu & Major!

Sunday Night said...

What a memory. Thanks Bu!

Anonymous said...

Big THANKS to you Bu!

MS

JB said...

JG, I remember that Wild Wild West episode, "Night of the Disneyland Tour Guides". James West (played by Bu), infiltrated the ranks of TGs to foil Miguelito Loveless' scheme to reduce all of Disneyland to 5/8 scale by pointing the 'shrinkification ray' from the Adventure Thru Inner Space attraction outward into the Park. Bu/West succeeded by trapping Dr. Loveless inside a Popcorn Cart after causing him to slip on a chocolate-covered frozen banana peel.

Major, on the bright side, having less visibility (fewer readers) means less spam comments and fewer trolls. The rest of the world is missing out on the GDB magic!

"Lou and Sue" said...

What a great post! It's so cool to see so many Tour Guides in one spot....usually we only see one or two at a time, in person, roaming around wild in the Park ["wrangling kittens," as Bu would say].

I'm definitely hanging onto these images with the names, so that we'll know who's who when Bu tells us more stories.

Thank you, Bu and Major!

Bu said...

As Lost and Found Kay would say: "What a bunch of scrappy shagnastics!" Hope everyone enjoyed: it really amazed me on how much I remembered from a photo taken 41 years ago. Unfortunately, I did not make it to the game show "scene" (although I did go on a few auditions) or win any lotteries (apparently, you have to play to win...) but I win many unforgettable memories over a decade + full of shenanigans, amazing adventures, and things that most "normal" people would not even attempt to attempt. Many life lessons to be had in a 1980's Disneyland: both personally and professionally. I don't recommend it to everyone, as it is was "lifestyle" job, and a place where I honed the many crafts of "go with the flow" "be ready for anything" "mental flexibility" "the ability to stay calm in a crisis" "crowd control for 40K+" "always look like you on a good hair day" I could really go on and on. I learned more working at Disneyland than any University. To the present Disneylanders reading this: take notes, take photos when you can, keep a journal, and enjoy the moment even when it seems like Hell: you will learn from it. Thanks Major for the great fun creating this post!

JG said...

JB, Yes! You remember it!

And Artemus Gordon disguised himself as Elias Disney to go backstage to turn off the electricity to ATIS by grounding it to the monorail track.

LOL.
Thanks Major and Bu!

JG