Sunday, October 28, 2018

Storybook Land, 1957

Standing on the upper deck of the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship provided a pretty good view of nearby Storybook Land. From here you can really see the "patchwork quilt" effect of the landscaping - supposedly at one point the rolling hills really were supposed to be a huge quilt, and the head of a giant would pop up along the way. While that would have been fun, I'm kind of glad that it wasn't built that way.

This is almost a "postcard worthy" scene, with Casey Jr., Cinderella's Castle, an two Canal Boats.


Did somebody say "Cinderella's Castle"? There it is again - in 1957 it must have been one of the taller structures in Disneyland, in spite of its miniature status. I've always liked the railroad bridge with its Romanesque arches. 

Just to the left of the castle, below the horizon, is Owen Pope's house - he took care of the horses, mules, and any other critters. It was the oldest building on Disneyland property, and was moved to another location (near the "Team Disney" structure, I believe) when construction for "Star Wars Land" commenced.


I figured you wouldn't mind a little zoom-in for a better look at Toad Hall.


8 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

These are some right-nice images for a Sunday. And of course the first image is "almost post card worthy" - there are telephone poles on the horizon-!

Thanks, Major.

K. Martinez said...

I love the green color tones of the second pic. If part of the dragon car wasn't at the bottom, I'd love it as a "Jumbo" postcard. It' a beauty. Thanks, Major.

JC Shannon said...

Great photos of one of my favorite attractions. Getting the Casey Jr. and a Canal Boat in the same photo is a win win. Nothing says Story Book Land like a nice shot of Toad Hall. The only thing missing is a Pumpkin Coach sighting.

Thanks Major!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I know how much some of you love those telephone poles! It’s not weird. At all.

K. Martinez, your comment got me to wondering if there are any jumbo postcards that are “portrait mode” instead of “landscape mode”. I can’t think of any, but there must be some?

Jonathan, I’m not sure when the pumpkin coach was added, but I don’t think it was there as early as ’57. It’s such a tiny detail, but it’s one that brings a lot of life to that scene!

JC Shannon said...

Major, a quick trip to Daveland, I love that site, revealed that the pumpkin coach didn't show up until '65. Where is Mike, I bet he knows the date?

Nanook said...

@ JC Shannon-

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Pumpkin appeared in January of 1965. Unfortunately, the Storybook Land article in The "E" Ticket failed to mention when the Pumpkin first 'made the scene'.

JC Shannon said...

@Nanook, Thanks for the info! Until today, I always thought it was there from day one. It certainly adds to the magic of the scene, and a little added color as well.

nick said...

Thank you for your years of great Disneyland photos!