Monday, September 15, 2014

Walt Disney World Parade, November 1972

Do you know what I say when I find a bunch of photos of a vintage Disney parade? Most of the time I say, "ARG!". Because there are usually 15 to 20 photos, all taken from the same vantage point, of endless not-very-interesting stuff. But today's pictures, from a year-old Walt Disney World, are pretty nice. I admit it.

There goes the Disney World Band (that's probably not the right name). Look at the sideburns on that one guy! Yep, it's the 70's. I didn't storm the hills at Iwo Jima so that you could grow your hair so long, you hippie! Meanwhile, whenever I see a sign for GAF film, it makes me sad that it doesn't say "Kodak". Not sure why.


There goes the Pearly Band. I imagine they are playing "Step in Time", or maybe "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".


Check out that kid's Donald Duck propeller beanie! In 100 years, if my blog is remembered for anything, I hope it is for this photo.


It looks like Baloo and Scat Cat (and one of Scat Cat's band mates) have just passed by, while one of the Main Street vehicles (a Jitney?) chauffeurs Donald Duck.


I always loved the day-glo orange used on Tigger - one of my favorites from childhood. He always looked so soft and huggable. And there's Winnie the Pooh, running for President. Hey, he can't do any worse than Nixon, am I right? Meanwhile I am distracted by the guy to the left with the white tie that is 6 inches wide. Awesome!


Right behind Pooh, a band of fellas (and gals?) in Colonial garb brings up the rear. Please resume your theme park activities. What is the name of that group of Liberty Square performers? A friend suggested that they are "The Fife and Drum Corps". My research says that they are the "Insane Hat Posse". Either way, I'm good! 


I hope you have enjoyed today's vintage parade.

10 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

I believe it is called the Walt Disney World Band. And also, the Liberty Square Fife and Drum Corps. (That, as opposed to the Spirit of America Fife and Drum Corps - usually seen at Epcot Center). Details, details.

And that Donald Duck beanie. That's got to be the best propeller hat, ever-!

Thanks, Major.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Great shot of the Pearly Band. My Parents loved watching them (Disneyland version) at the Plaza Pavillion. As a kid I got the drummer's autograph on the back of a ticket book.

That white tie looks like a bib from a rib restaurant. Wow.
Cool photos, thanks for posting.

K. Martinez said...

These are great! I always associated GAF with Walt Disney World because of the GAF Magic Kingdom guides handed out at the gate in the 1970's and the beautiful GAF Camera Center building featured here in the second and last photo. It's a beauty and my favorite non-attraction building in the Magic Kingdom along with the Sunshine Tree Terrace. In the 80's, Polaroid replaced GAF at the Camera Center and guide booklets. I always appreciate vintage Walt Disney World photos. Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, are you sure it isn't the "Liberty Square Fife and Drum Corps. brought to you by Monster Energy Drink"? Also, that kid's hat reminds me of the one the kid wore in "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T".

Alonzo, do you still have the autographed ticket book? I would imagine that the big white tie was in danger of getting dripped on because it basically WAS a bib.

K. Martinez, I'll have to take another look at the GAF building (I think I have other photos of it). I remember my Disneyland guides with Polaroid ads on them. If only those Polaroid photos turned out better!

Nanook said...

Major-

Oh yes, the "Happy Fingers" hat - how could I forget that. Worn by actor Tommy Rettig. That hat may win the award for best 'missile-like' appendage protruding from atop a hat.

He later went on to become the first (of two) actors to portray Jeff Miller, in the Lassie TV series, before he and Jan Clayton (who played the Mom) left the series, and were replaced by Jon Provost "Timmy" Martin, and Cloris Leachman, as 'adoptive' Mom #2. And then there was June Lockhart as Mom #3. And then, of course, the parade of 'Lassies'... (What was the topic, again-? Oh yeah, the hat-!)

Thanks, Major, I'm going out for a fitting right now.

Melissa said...

Meeeeem'rieeeeees...
Like the Refreshment Corners of my mind...

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, you are a bottomless well of trivia! Please tell me that you had to look that stuff up!! Now I have the whistling theme song to "Lassie" in my brain, thanks. ;-)

Melissa, they are misty cola-colored memories!

Nanook said...

Major-

Frighteningly I only had to verify the information - it was ALL there. Yikes-!

And I didn't even mention 'Gramps', played by George Cleveland, who then up and died in real life, so was "replaced" by George Chandler as Uncle Petrie Martin, at the same time the new Tommy (now Timmy) and new Mom (& Dad) were introduced. Wow - talk about 'incest' and a revolving cast of "the same" characters-! And let's not forget the last iteration, without Tommy or Timmy, or whoever, that starred Forest Service Ranger Corey Stuart. Well, it is the 4th-longest running US TV series...

The only cast member who was allowed to 'come and go unnoticed' was the venerable canine (purported to always be portrayed by a male dog) - Lassie.

And just to make certain there's a Disney connection in there somewhere (isn't there always-?) as the series was purchased in 1957 by none other than Jack Wrather, you just knew many of the later episodes which included narration were voiced by none other than Bonita Granville Wrather.

Nanook said...

Whoops...

Make that 'Jeff Miller' turned into 'Timmy Martin'. Someone please help-!

Oh, Ms. Wrather...

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I have a green version of that propeller beanie hat, but with Mickey's face instead of Donald's. It was purchased for me during a childhood visit to Disneyland in the early seventies....possibly the same year that these WDW photos were taken.