Monday, September 29, 2014

Two From the 80's

Here are two scans from a set of four undated slides; I think they are from the 1980's, though they might be even newer than that.

At first I thought that this was a photo of Main Street's Saxophone Quartet. Until I realized that there is a fifth member; so…. quintet. They usually performed olde timey songs from the 1920's and 1930's, but on this particular day they were doing "A Salute to Psychedelia!". They're right in the middle of "White Rabbit", and the groovy little kid is totally digging it, man. What I don't understand is why the White Rabbit isn't there.


I am assuming that the photographer was taken with these ladies in their exotic costumes. "Wait'll the folks back home see this!". Or he was just trying to take a picture of the Bank of America (this photo would complete his collection of photos of every Bank of America). 


8 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

"What I don't understand is why the White Rabbit isn't there."

He was late, of course.

:)

Chuck said...

Well, that's one way to save money on a stroller rental.

I had a pair of tennis shoes almost exactly like the one the woman in red is wearing circa 1979-80. I may have worn them on my first trip to WDW in '79.

I think that first picture shows Alice when she was just small. Wish I could go ask her to be sure.

Melissa said...

Aw, I love when kids are at that age where they look drunk all the time.

K. Martinez said...

I like the window lettering for the "Carefree Corner Information and Registration Center".

According to Daveland's Main Street Diagram, INA dropped out in 1974, so it went from "INA Carefree Corner" to just "Carefree Corner".

Carefree Corner 1974-1985
Bank of America 1955-1993

Unless, INA lettering is hidden below the canopy these are probably early 1980's like you said.

http://davelandweb.com/mainstreet/diagram.html

JG said...

These are unusual enough to be entertaining in their own way.

I remember the musicians, but can't say from when or what era.

@Melissa, I've looked like that at every age, with increasing accuracy...

JG

Steve DeGaetano said...

The woman in blue and the man in the wheelchair seem to be having more fun than anyone should be allowed!

Major Pepperidge said...

Chiana_Chat, boy do I feel dumb!! ;-)

Chuck, aren't those Adidas? The three stripes gives it away. My brother used to play tennis and he had so many different pairs of Adidas tennis shoes. I remember green ones with day-glo chartreuse soles.

Melissa, there is nothing more fun than drunk people!

K. Martinez, thanks for the info about the B of A and the Carefree Corner… while it was just a guess, these just had the feel of the 80's.

JG, I think that there have been various saxophone quartets and quintets going back to the 1950's. In fact I am pretty sure that you can still catch them at the park today if you go at the right time.

Steve, they are smiling in the *inside*!!

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, I also had a pair of tennis shoes like that around 1980-1982. The blue part was suede. I also had a brown pair with beige stripes. They were both Sears brand, but I'm sure Sears was trying to do a "knock-off" of Adidas.