Thursday, December 01, 2011

In Town Square, July 7 1961

Welcome to Disneyland's Town Square! It's the first thing you experience once you are really inside the park, and it makes a pretty great impression (for those who bother to take a moment to soak it all in). In the background, a pair of horseless carriages await; the man walking towards us has snuck in a picnic lunch (10 limburger and onion sandwiches); and patriotic bunting is evident from the Independence Day festivities 3 days earlier.


Also, thanks to Jason's Disneyland Almanac, I can tell you that on July 7 1961, the park was open from 9 AM until midnight, that the high was 88˚F, and that the attendance was 25,562. Oh, and there was a "Date Nite" event too!


Faithful readers of GDB might recall the woman to our left, with the fuzzy white hat. She looks cute with her li'l white gloves! But if you look at this photo, you'll also recognize the buckaroo in the white cowboy hat, as well as the older ladies in their block-print dresses. A tour group? An extended family? Meanwhile, note the banner on the Omnibus celebrating "Disneyland '61". That graphic shape interests me - unless I am missing something, it is completely abstract, as if inspired by minimalist/color field artist Ellsworth Kelly.

7 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

I need that banner....it is so cool!

Jason Schultz said...

Never seen that banner before! I have some other days I want to visit first, but I'll put July 7, 1961 on the list to get a photo of the full banner.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Looks like a splendid day at the park!

I too am digging that banner and neato graphic, reminds me of the 64/65 worlds fair. I also like that white cowboy hat!

Isn't Jasons book awesome! It adds a nice touch to these old posts to have the additional data.

Orange Co Native said...

These pictures were taken just 8 days before I was born.

It is interesting to me at least to think how photographs capture an instant in time and is kept all these years later. Looking at such a clear photograph and the vibrant colors. It is not like looking at old faded black and white pictures from the 1800's which kind of distances the viewer. These pictures in some respects look as if they could have been taken recently, but we all know they were not. It makes me wonder where these people are today. Just pondering.

Connie Moreno said...

For the life of me, I can't figure out the graphic on that banner. Neato pics - I want a copy of that book!

Major Pepperidge said...

Matterhorn1959, I'm surprised you don't already have one.

Progressland, I may be wrong, but I think I may have seen a photo of that banner *somewhere*. But it's all moot if I can't find it anywhere...

VDT, I used to think cowboy hats were the worst (unless you really were a cowboy, or at least a TV cowboy), but I have come around and now I like 'em.

OC Native, there IS something about color photos, and the further back you go, the more amazing they are. Looking at color photos (or film) from something like the 1933 Chicago World's Fair brings a bit of history to vivid life.

Connie, can't you see the airplane and the monkey wearing a top hat in that graphic?

JG said...

That last picture is a strange shot, nothing is centered or apparently the focus of the shot, but still, lots of things in play, including that banner.

Very nice view. Thank you.

JG