Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rivers of America, May 1964

I love Frontierland's "Big River"! Or should that be "Rivers"? Even if you are just standing on shore looking at it, the river adds so much to the atmosphere of the place. If only there was still Dixieland music at night on the Mark Twain!


May 1964 would have probably been an awesome time to visit the park. Look at all the people on the rafts to (and from) Tom Sawyer Island... they didn't need no stinking pirates to lure folks over. The Columbia is at rest at Fowler's Harbor, but presumably guests could still go "below deck".


Look at 'em all, packed in like sardines!


Another shot, taken from nearly the same spot (maybe a bit further back) includes the Old Mill and Tom's Treehouse, as well as the Mark Twain.

9 comments:

JG said...

Boy do I remember those packed rafts and the river just like this.

Thanks Major!

JG

PS, I've been very busy working lately, no time to post, but I read everything...

Major Pepperidge said...

No worries, JG... this is a crazy time of year for everyone. Glad you are checking in regularly!

Connie Moreno said...

I could have been there!! hee hee

Nancy said...

lovin these shots...any time I see the Island or the rafts i hear that cool banjo music, its so nice. makes me very happy. thanks for sharing!!

Orange Co Native said...

I like the lushness of the foliage around the Old Mill. It is really barren now. I know, I know. Fantasmic needed to be built. They needed a stage etc...

1. They need to bring the fort on TSI back to the way it was. Let people back inside the fort to explore.
2. Take down the theater next to Toontown and Small World and give it up to Fantasyland for more attractions.
3. Open up Thunder Ranch area and Fools Court for more Frontierland. Hopefully they can expand Frontierland into their Circle D Ranch area behind Disneyland.

I think I'm sounding like a broken record. I'm sorry.

David said...

I'll agree, the area is lush. Now seeing that, I realize what was lost to time. I'm not a huge fan of Fantasmic, so as I view these pictures (and they are just as crowed today) I mourn for what once was (young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant).

Douglas McEwan said...

Yes, you could still go below decks on the Columbia in 1964.

JG said...

Ha Major, GDB, Daveland, VDT, et al are my pipeline to sanity.

Without you guys, I would be an emotional basket case.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Glad to help, JG!