Saturday, November 05, 2011

Anything Goes Saturday - Durango, Colorado

Today's "Anything Goes" post takes us to the year 1952, and to Durango, Colorado.

Durango is located in the southwestern part of Colorado, and is the most populous city in La Plata County. Its claim to fame is the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, a "heritage railroad" (and National Landmark) that travels 45 miles between Durango and (you guessed it) Silverton. The old steam locomotives are wonderful, and the views that folks see while riding are spectacular (although you won't be seeing any of those here!).

The depot for the D&SNG, seen here, was built in 1882, and is still in its original form. I like the "you are there" perspective in this photo, as you poke your head out of the train window, watching the activity outside, and anxiously awaiting the start of the ride. Dad and his stringbean son are consulting some important information before they climb aboard. In the background, the charming main street (I believe it is called "Main Avenue") stretches off towards the mountains. Notice the neat red brick 7-Up bottling plant. Did you know that, up until 1950, 7-Up contained lithium citrate - a mood-stabilizing drug? I say bring that formula back.


And last but not least, check out the herd of wonderful mid-century automobiles! I know you want them all, but you can only have one. So choose carefully.

8 comments:

Chuck said...

I'll take the white Buick in the center-left of the photo.

I'm really impressed with the level of detail in the downtown Durango area. If you look off to the right hand side of the photo, they have the forced perspective down pat. It looks as though it were a real street extending off into the distance.

I also love the fact that they built a narrow-guage railroad, just like at Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. In fact, it looks as though their equipment is a direct copy of the stuff at Knott's. The 3-foot track gauge and dimunitive size of the rolling stock makes things less forbidding for kids and adds a whimsical quality to the place.

I'm not sure who built this park, but they sure knew what they were doing when they designed and put it together.

Thufer said...

What a wonderful moment time captured and preserved.

Rich T. said...

I pick the fifth one back:

Doc Hudson! (Sorry, I'm a "Cars" nut.)

Orange Co Native said...

A time when most people could buy a brand new car every 2-3 years. Notice that all the cars are from that time. I don't see any that are 10, 15 or 20 years old. Nothing from 1940, 1935 or 1930.

My dad who was around back in 1952 told me most of the men he worked with would buy a new car every 2-4 years. A time when a car was not a entire years salary for some people. (Yes, I know people made less money back then, but the % of their salary to buy a car was a lot less back then in comparison to today).

I like the rust red car to the right.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chuck... ha ha! Turns out that Durango was entirely designed by C.V. Wood. Walt learned everything he knew from C.V.!

Thufer, I agree!

Rich T., as usual I can't identify a single car.

OC Native, I didn't think about it, but you're right, all the cars do appear to be late-model examples. None of those old 1940's trucks in sight!

CoxPilot said...

People probably forget that in those days you could deduct any and all interest from you taxes. That included cars, department stores, personal loans, etc.

Dad was a tax man, and and stopped financing cars when they stopped the deduction.

The Viewliner Limited said...

What else can I say... ABSOLUTELY AWESOME PIC! Pretty much as "Americana" as you can get.

Chiana_Chat said...

Front. Red. Mines.

A gem of a pic Maj.