Saturday, April 11, 2009

Two From June 1960

Yo homies, I'm back from a few days off, it was nice to take a little break. It's time to start revving up the old scanner so that I can get some new images ready for you. Today's photos are not very exciting, but they are better than a poke in the eye with a burning stick.

Main Street Station, elevation 138 feet. Good to know. I can't quite make out the population, it might be 15 million (people, not tribbles). It's 3:26, and the wind is blowing from the southwest. Humidity is at 30 percent. Maybe. Who knows? I'm not the Amazing Kreskin. I sure wish I owned one of those flags with the blue castle and the word "Disneyland" on it!


There's just something about fishing! My parents used to take us to a trout farm in a place called.... Troutdale (in Agoura), and we used bamboo poles, with corn niblets for bait. There was no way you would be skunked, you always caught a fish. And that's probably the way it was at Disneyland. Folks didn't want to carry their cleaned-and-wrapped fish around all day, understandably. I would have set mine free in the Jungle Cruise river or the castle moat, where it would have mutated into a gelatinous Lovecraftian monster.

9 comments:

Chiana said...

Then... how many tribbles?!

Oh My... think any kids plunked dead fishies in those other waterways? Were / are the JC & ROA waterways connected at all? And why do I care? I guess it's just the idea of really fishing there so appeals to the Tom Sawyer in me.

Welcome back :)

TokyoMagic! said...

Chiana, the JC and ROA are supposedly connected. They used to be visibly connected with a wooden pedestrian bridge over the connecting waterway up until the time the Swiss Family Treehouse was built. "E" ticket magazine wrote a story about how Storybook Land is connected to the Motor Boat water, which is connected to the castle moat, which leads down to the JC and then on to ROA. There is supposedly a pump somewhere in the back of ROA that takes it back up to Storybook Land.

Mmmmm...Gel-at-in-ous!

Welcome back, Major!

Chiana said...

thanks TokyoMagic :) Yes now I remember seeing that bridge you mentioned, first saw it here in one of the Major's slides in fact. One seldom thinks about all the engineering that goes on, but then we might say that just shows how well its done.

Thufer said...

welcome back...
oh, to have one of those flags. indeed.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Super post! Hey Major, I grew up in Woodland Hills and we used to go to Troutdale & Tapia Park all the time, great fishy memories.... I believe Troutdale is still there (link)! I heard someone let goldfish into the POTC water once, I think the chlorine will make them clear (or dead)!

Major Pepperidge said...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets, I drove past Troutdale a few years ago, and there was still a fishing pond, and lots of dads with their kids. Brought back great memories! Like this weird one... we always wanted to get a candy called "Razzles" from the snack shack. Razzles; "It's a candy! It's a gum!" - something like that.

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

I am pretty certain that I several gelatinous Lovecraftian monsters the last time I was at Disneyland. In fact, isn't that why they recently retooled the Small World boats?

Katella Gate said...

Any idea what DAY these were taken? I was born in June 1960 so you can see where this is going... One chance in 30, but better than roulette.

Nancy said...

welcome back, Major :D

pretty posters on the photo of the train station...i love a bright, sunny day!

where on the (present) island did the fishing take place? seems it was pretty popular back in the day, tho i myself am not a fisherperson except in the eating sense lol!

oh, we always bought Razzles, too. they were pretty cool, the way they flaked apart but then turned into gum