Monday, April 20, 2009

El Zocalo, September 1959

Here are two slides (plus one detail) from 9-59!

Junior is one happy camper, because dad just bought him something cool in Frontierland's El Zocalo. Looks like a deadly spear, the plastic tip made all the more lethal because it has been dipped in poison. That group of rough shacks with canvas roofs behind them held a treasure trove of Disneyland collectibles. Coonskin caps, peace pipes, toy guns, rubber tomahawks, plastic stagecoaches, and so on. Everything a person needs to lead a healthy, happy life.


What does that sign say? "In the early days of the Aztecs the focal point of all activity was the marketplace or El Zocalo. All roads led to El Zocalo and people for miles around brought baskets, pottery, glass and other wares to sell. During the development of the great southwest before the Gadsden Purchase, and down through the years the custom of El Zocalo has been preserved - - - and here in El Zocalo of Frontierland you will find the quaint and colorful products of Mexico." Now you know.


There they are again, in a similar pose. This time they are in front of the Pavilion Lanai, having just crossed over a mysterious bridge; I'm not sure I was aware that this little bridge existed until now!

9 comments:

Nancy said...

im loving these...far too few pictures of Adventureland for me. thanks for starting my day with a smile :)

cool to know the details on our Indian friends. and the little boy seems very happy with his new purchase

so, what is on the other end of the little bridge where the photographer is standing? ill have to get out some of my older books on Disneyland when i dont have to start working in 5 minutes

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

What's in dad's shirt pocket? Did he fold up a gate flyer!!!! I think the bridge in the last photo is gone, its somewhere between the Tiki Room and the silly Aladdin show. The water-way is still there, so come to think of it, maybe the bridge is still there? I'll check on it Thursday :-) Thanks Major!

CoxPilot said...

I don't believe that's a bridge, but a ramp leading to the Pavilion. To the right would be the terrace and the Jungle Ride river; behind and to the left would be the Bazar. I remember the ramp, but I'm not positive that this is it. This would be rebuilt when the Tiki Terrace and restaurant were expanded.

Anonymous said...

Jungle Cruise has to be on the right and behind us. That has to be the Tahitian Terrace up ahead, aren't those fringed table umbrellas behind the leaves on the right?

Chiana said...

Oh I love these Maj. You won't see this there now. Adventureland is so neat. Plus we get some culture while we're at it. ;)

Major Pepperidge said...

I do believe that the Tahitain Terrace is the building behind the father & son (or maybe it was still known as the Pavilion Lanai at that point?). That sure looks like a bridge rather than a ramp, but I admit that it is hard to say for sure. I bow to CoxPilot, since he was actually there to see it!

CoxPilot said...

Well guys, I wish I could be sure. It was 50 years ago don'tcha know, and us old koots ain't wat we useta be. I'm gonna poke around and see if I can verify it a little. Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

CoxPilot said...

Well, I'm back. Check out the photo on Daveland:

http://davelandweb.com/adventureland/popup.htm?
images/50s/KPTBK_1956_N08C.jpg

I have a feeling that it was both a ramp AND a bridge.

Major Pepperidge said...

It's a floor wax!

It's a dessert topping!