Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A Trip To Disneyland, July 1958 - Part Eight

Happy "April Fool's Day" folks! Or as I like to call it, "April foo". Sorry I don't have a wacky photo for you this year; chalk it up to a lack of inspiration. I started one, but it didn't turn out too great, so I may redo it for next year. Assuming I'm still blogging!

... ANYWAY, our 1958 visit is continued...!

Today I have a quartet of images taken from the Skyway, showing Fantasyland (in no particular order). Like this familiar view of the Teacups. The swirly turntable looks bright and freshly painted; it's fun to read the posture on the people in the teacups, some leaning into the spin, others looking for mom and dad, and a few others turning the center wheel as fast as possible.


Looking back across Fantasyland towards Sleeping Beauty Castle, there's the Carousel and the Mickey Mouse Club Theater. Wish I could see what was playing, the poster doesn't look familiar (but it definitely isn't the "3-D Jamboree").


Now we're above Dumbo, with Timothy whipping furiously from atop his mirrored ball. Just to the right of that ball, you can see the little Fantasyland Art Corner doing boffo business. Man, if only I could go back and see what was being sold there, and buy three of each!


And finally, I threw this one in even though most of Fantasyland is far far away... perhaps at this point we would be headed towards Tomorrowland. You can see the Mark Twain, the Columbia, and even the striped tent from Holidayland, as well as some of the buildings from Adventureland and Frontierland.

8 comments:

Chiana said...

Gosh Maj I've come to enjoy this so, it's actually a depressing thought to think of no new blog entries from you. Whether or not the format changes or you slow the pace, I sure hope you're still posting next year if you like. Having a few moments with these and chattin' with everyone here is one of life's little pleasures for me. :)

I'm fascinated with the bottom pic's view. On "Snow Hill"? Mark Twain steamin' from behind the frontier hill, the mercantile looks fine with the Columbia behind, the original Jungle Cruise building... so much neat detail.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

What an amazing series, please tell us it will never end? Does PETA know about Timothy Mouse and his obsession with whipping flying elephants? The mouse is a little kinky if you as ask me...

Anonymous said...

If the Major ever does cease his posts (or even slows down), I will loose the only thing that moors my sanity to this earth: my daily visit to that simpler world of yore, that semi-chromatic early Disneyland where Tomorrowland represented tomorrow, where dolls of the world innocently sang unmolested, where a Swiss family merrily danced a polka unwary of their ultimate fate, where Tom Sawyer raft guides were sexy and barefoot, where Aunt Jemima ran the pancake house, and where the mothers all wore pearls when they visited the park with their spoiled rotten boomer children. This journey to the past is always a joy and mostly better than drugs. Thank you, Walt. Thank you, Major!

TokyoMagic! said...

No pressure Major, but I also hope you never completely stop posting. A break, a slow down, a vacation....I would understand, and of course you certainly deserve a break! I don't know how you manage to post every single day. I started out doing that with my blog and it got old very fast.

You would be missed very much if you were to stop altogether. Your photos and your commentary are a big highlight of my day! Thank you!

Nancy said...

more nice pictures. i love the fourth offering the best


...gee, what would i do for a home page??

Major Pepperidge said...

Awww, thanks for the nice comments everyone! I am just looking at my dwindling pile of slides and wondering how I'll make the blog last longer. I'll try to pad it out somehow!

Vaughn said...

Teacups are great. My wife only went with me once but my boys, as they were growing up, always wanted to ride with me, because I was one of those spinning as fast as possible!

Wurlitzer Heart said...

That kid in the furthest cup (pink) is slumped over! Somebody call the paramedics!