Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Town Square, 12/29/56

Town Square is actually more of a triangle shaped thingy. No parallelograms were harmed during its creation. But we love it anyway (and by we, I mean me and Elvis).

In this 1956 view, you can see that the buildings on Main Street are festooned (but not bedecked, never ever bedecked) with the very finest plastic evergreen decorations that money can buy. Because Christmas was only four days ago, see?


Curious (and bloodthirsty) crowds want to know just what the heck "International Street" is going to be. Apparently there were viewers with 3-D images (of conceptual models?) that folks could look at to whet their appetites. Kind of like kids looking through a knothole at an old timey baseball game. Why, I remember watching Joltin' Joe.... but that's another story. (Please see my "Joltin' Joe" blog, and while I'm at it, I might as well mention my "Knitting in Prison" blog too).

I will give anybody who possesses those 3-D images of International Street the princely sum of $11 if they will sell them to me. Oh alright, $15, jeez! The basic idea of that street was eventually expanded into the World Showcase at EPCOT.

2 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

Major: For your records, the Park was open from 10 AM - 7 PM that day.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

This are pretty vivid, so vivid I can see the dirty cutters? Looks like my street!

Are we bidding for those 3D Images? I step up with $20 - Cash!