Sunday, October 07, 2007

Sunday Puddin'

Is it Sunday already? We'll I'll be! That means it's time to post some random photos for your viewing enjoyment.

First is an early photo of the Mark Twain as it makes its way past the Plantation House (out of frame to the left) and Harper's Mill. It really does look like it's heading into the wilderness, with nothing but trees and emptiness ahead. The Mark Twain was actually powered by 7500 genetically enhanced hamsters hidden inside the boat. Steam? Don't make me laugh. The "steam" is the condensation from their tiny exhalations. You won't find this kind of inside information on other Disney blogs!


The load dock for the Jungle Cruise is pictured here, circa 1969. Look at how lush the Jungle is...pretty convincing, thanks to the skillful army of gardeners and designers. And Miracle-Gro, of course.


Did Native Americans keep bison as pets? This is an odd addition to the Indian Village in my humble opinion. If it was a real-live, breathing, slobbering buffalo I could understand why people might want to look at it. But real ones poop and do other un-Disney things. So he's merely a stuffed buffalo, as well-groomed as a velveteen rabbit. They even built a shady cover for him so that he'll be comfortable on hot summer days.

5 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Thanks Major- you caused me to laugh so hard that milk almost came out of my nose! I can just picture the hamsters running so fast that the perspiration is captured and sent out the steam whistle!

Stub Winged Bilge Rat said...

Great post today! I love that Jungle Cruise dock picture. Great color density. I sure wish they would bring back those striped canopies.

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

What?! Boy you weren’t kiddin “early”, it’s so early they only had time to put one smokestack on the Mark Twain. Odd, if you ask me, but it’s an easy fix in Photoshop.

Major Pepperidge said...

Monkey Cage Kurt, it does look like one of the smokestacks is missing, but I am quite sure that it is actually covered by a plume of steam. The actual "smoke" comes out of those smaller white stacks toward the back of the boat.

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

Ah yes, I see it now. The sky is completely white on my monitor, but you can see just a hint of steam coming out of the rear stack. Thanks Major, you saved my sanity yet again.