Monday, October 05, 2026

Main Street, April 1963

In my mind's eye, I always picture Disneyland on sunny days with blue skies - maybe a tad warm, but nothing that we can't handle. AND YET... I have so many photos of the park taken on gray, overcast days. California has "weather", it's not interesting weather. Today's April 1963 pictures feel like rain is on the way. They do say that "April showers bring May flowers", after all.

I wonder why the cheerful Surreys were eliminated from the fleet of various Main Street vehicles? They carry as many people as the Horseless Carriages (maybe more). It's a shame, because they are so unique, especially today. And guests love seeing horses at the park! All of the people near the Surrey are fascinated by it, even the teenager. And they hate everything! The nerd in me is happy to see the signs for the Upjohn pharmacy, the Swift Market House, and the golden crown of the Hallmark shop.


Our photographer hadn't walked very far (if at all) when Vesey Walker and the Disneyland Band passed by. Vesey is looking right at us! 


 

2 comments:

JB said...

Hmm, I wonder if all of the dinginess is due to the weather, or if the camera setting (or film type) may have been wrong? As is, it has a 'bad omen' quality about it. I expect to see the Wicked Witch skywriting overhead, "Surrender Dorothy"! Or perhaps the Dementors are present, sucking all the joy from the Happiest Place on Earth.

Ah yes, the ever-popular Murk Parade! Instead of playing upbeat, happy, Disney tunes, the Band plays funeral dirges. Sorry, I just can't bring myself to say cheerful things when I see Disneyland looking so dismal. Again, maybe it didn't look that bad in person.

Oh well, it IS vintage Disneyland after all. And that's something. So thanks for the photos, Major.

MIKE COZART said...

Happy late birthday BU! Sorry I missed yesterdays post & activities…..
DISNEYLAND : A LEGACY FOR THE FUTURE; DISNEYLAND SHOWCASE and for a time being DISNEY SHOWCASE displayed renderings and models of future Disneyland ( and even Walt Disney world ) attractions and developments. The small framed backlit photos that once showcased Wurlitzer production always displayed lost attractions when the shop became an exhibit in 1973. The last FUTURE attraction displayed was Splash mountain. A large 1/4 inch model and several audio animatronic maquettes and concept renderings were featured . Then the model was relocated to the DISNEY GALLERY in New Orleans square and DISNEYLAND SHOWCASE which was renamed to DISNEY SHOWCASE ( displaying future plans for Disneyland and what’s new with the Walt Disney company … mainly the Disney channel ) became mostly a display about Disney home video release and new films coming out . Then the revised DISNEY SHOWCASE was all
About Disney home video and related plush and merchandise .. Eisner turned it into kinda of a mall Disney store inside Disneyland .

Notice in yesterday’s gate guide : NO OMNIBUS! That’s because our Disneyland omnibus fleet was doing time at Epcot Center’s World Showcase!!