Wednesday, August 23, 2023

A Tribute To Our Friend Peter

I have some sad news - GDB friend Peter Bondante, also known as "DrGoat", passed away last week after a long illness. Going back through my Gmail, I see that Peter and I first exchanged email messages back in 2015 - the first of many! He was always kind and complimentary, and happy to share any personal photos that he had with me and with the rest of the Junior Gorillas. 

Now that GDB is over 17 years old, it's no surprise that we have lost some friends, but it is always a punch in the gut to hear that somebody is really gone. I am grateful to Peter for his friendship and generosity.

I decided to put together a tribute to him, using some of the photos that he's sent me over the years. You've seen some, and others will be new to you.

First up, here's baby Peter with his beloved sister Christina ("Chris"), who he once referred to as "the white sheep of the family". I believe she went on to become a doctor of some kind, but I'm not having any luck finding the info in my Gmail.


Next is this adorable photo of Peter, with his mother and sister Christina, on a bountiful Christmas day. Everybody looks so happy! 


Another Christmas portrait from a few years later. Peter sure got some sweet toys.


Peter sent me a series of photos, unfortunately I can't find the emails that give specific context, but I do remember that they showed the ordered chaos that involved the family's packing before a big summer road trip. Incredible! How many hats were needed? At least four! These family road trips were a formative part of Peter's childhood.


Now let's hop to July of 1961, with a series of photos taken by Peter's Uncle, from whom the nickname "DrGoat" originated. The Uncle (Charles Clement), a talented artist, did the illustrations for a children's book titled "Dr. Goat", still beloved by many who read it as kids (read about Charles HERE).  In this first picture, the family waves to the camera from the top of the Omnibus. From left to right: Aunt Louise, Peter's Dad, his Mom, his sister Chris, and Peter himself.


Here's the cover of "Dr. Goat".... copies in good condition can fetch hundreds of dollars today!


Everyone's hopping aboard the Columbia, still relatively new in 1961. Such a neat, sunshiny picture!


Peter is prepared to fire the cannon, ready to scare off any river pirates, or (better yet), repel any AEDs. 


There's Peter and his Father aboard a cool Mark V Autopia vehicle. Peter loved his Mom and Dad so much, it was very touching to hear him talk about them.


I loved the title Peter put on this photo: "Me somewhere?". He's reclining on an amorphous sculpture that could be found behind the Monsanto House of the Future. It looks like a tooth from a Martian wooly mammoth. As you can see for yourself.


That same trip found the family visiting Knott's Berry Farm, and a chance for a photo with Marilyn and Cecelia, during a break from their jobs as business managers (or something). Peter's wearing the red shirt, and his Uncle Clement is beside him.


Here's a very fun family portrait from the Pitcher Gallery! Peter looks just the same to me, but as you can see, the photo is dated from one year later.


Peter seemed unsure of the year that this next photo was taken, though he is clearly a little older. 


Next we see the Mad Tea Party attraction, with Peter, Chris, and their friend Ray in the teacup to the left.


From that same trip, here's Peter and his father. Pete's looking at his iPhone!


I love this next great image of me and Quentin in ’72 on our way to LA and Disneyland for a week or two, driving my new Fiat 850 Spider which you could lift up the back end with two strong guys, or gals. Fun to drive but problematic at times.


Now we'll hop forward over 20 years for this picture. That's me (sideburns at the time), my wife Peggy and friend Tom in Disneyland 1996. Those are some five-star sideburns!


I included this photo, which Peter titled "Early Entry", because the story was funny. As Peter and his wife Peggy walked into Tomorrowland first thing in the morning, they saw Chip and Dale. One had his Chip head off and when 'Dale' saw us he quickly encouraged Chip to put the head back on. Peter said that Chip and Dale were visible in the high-res version of this photo, but I can't see them here.



And the last of the photos is this wonderful picture (possibly from around 2001) of Peter with his beloved wife of over 40 years, Peggy, posing with Mickey Mouse in ToonTown. He said it was the third day of a much anticipated 4 day trip to Disneyland. I think we were pretty ragged by then. 


My heart goes out to Peggy, who gave Sue B. this kind message regarding the GDB community: "Thank everyone, as Peter got SO MUCH JOY from this group.  Everyone brought him happiness!". There can be no higher praise. Sue says that Peggy is not much of a computer person, but I plan on writing her as soon as I can, so that I can tell her how much Peter meant to all of us. He will truly be missed.

25 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-
This is sad news, for sure. It feels like a death in the family - which I suppose it is. It was fun re-visiting these images - remembering most of them, by gum. The joy in all of them is so contagious.

Thanks, Major, for putting together this tribute to Peter. I certainly hope wherever Peter is, it has a fully-functioning Disneyland from its golden age, so he may enjoy it again and again and again.

TokyoMagic! said...

This is such sad news. I had a little bit of interaction with Peter, outside of the blogs. He was very kind to me, and very generous. After viewing a "Star Wars" post that I did last year, he said that he would like to send me some of the Star Wars items from his personal collection. I tried to convince him that maybe he should hang onto them, but I sensed that he really wanted me to have them.

Peter was also very much a part of the experience here on GDB, and for so many years. I was already missing hearing from him in these recent months. My deepest sympathy goes out to his wife and family. Rest in peace, dear friend.

TokyoMagic! said...

Oh, and this was a wonderful tribute, Major. The photos made me both sad and happy. I second what Nanook said....I hope Peter is somehow able to enjoy his "Ideal Disneyland" with friends and loved ones.

MIKE COZART said...

Major thank you for presenting this salute to our friend DrGoat.

God speed Peter.

Bu said...

What a sweet and lovely tribute to read this morning. I didn't have much interaction with Peter, but there is some inexplicable, (or possibly explicable) connections to this humanic group that interacts in not a virtual world, but a real world filled with multitudes of memories, emotions, laughter, shenanigans and a bit of the 'ol "love" thing thrown in there. It's not surprising that Peter chose "Dr.Goat" as his "GDB Character" name: a sweet doctor of the community helping all the neighbors feel well. What a sweet book and character, and certainly a prize possession for book collectors. It seems that as I review photos of Walt Disney's office bookcase in Burbank, "Dr. Goat" would feel very natural they're amongst his other eclectic collections. Today's photos chronicle a touched life, in an country filled with optimism and Disneyland. The picture along the river could be a modern day "Tom and Becky". I would be nice to ride the Omnibus with it's "Disneyland '61" banner: those graphics: "Epic". Thanks Major,. Rest in peace Peter: who is now riding the '67 PeopleMover on opening day with his Uncle Charlie.

Andrew said...

Major, thank you for such a heartfelt tribute. I don't have many words, but someone was undeniably special if you feel sad upon their passing despite never having met them. Goodbye, DrGoat... I hope you're riding that Skyway in heaven right now.

Steve DeGaetano said...

It's not often I tear up reading a blog post. What a wonderful and touching tribute. The good Doctor will be missed.

K. Martinez said...

What a beautiful tribute to Dr. Goat. I was saddened to hear of his passing. It breaks my heart every time we lose a member of the GDB family. I will remember the wonderful stories of his childhood and life he shared with us on GDB. Such beautiful soul that we were blessed to share time with. Rest in Peace, Peter. You are missed.

Stefano said...

Thanks Major, this is a sensitive way of honoring DrGoat. My condolences to Peggy and Peter's family.

It is beguiling to see Peter growing up along with Disneyland over the years, and changing in appearance with the times. In the first Columbia photo he looks like a cast member--- Peter, Cabin Boy on the Gem of the Ocean.

Grant said...

It's a sad day in the Gorilla family. I had some interaction with Peter as well. He was a cool guy. We had much in common. A couple of 50s kids who grew their hair long, had the same taste in music, took road trips with friends, had long-term marriages to wonderful women, and LOVED Disneyland. The good Dr. Goat will be missed by all of us. Peace brother!

Thanks for the excellent tribute post Major. Losing friends is hard but made a little easier by reliving happy memories.

JG said...

RIP Dr. Goat.

We traded pics and emails back and forth. The sideburn pic is the one I remember. A good friend, a good man. God bless him and his family.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine
Et lux perpetua eis.

Thanks Major, appreciate the chance to say goodbye.

JG

Sunday Night said...

Rest in peace Dr. Goat. You will be missed.

Anonymous said...

It's always tough to lose a Jr. Gorilla, and DrGoat was a great one! We've lost a few over the years, of course (the first I remember was Cox Pilot) I like the idea that they somehow are enjoying their perfect Disneyland (and Knott's) right now.
Thank you for this great tribute, Major!

Anonymous said...

Major- Thanks for the well written salute to our friend Peter/DrGoat. Also thanks to the other GDB members for the heart felt comments.

Condolences to Peggy and the family.

-DW

Anonymous said...

Sigh...that was Stu.
I gotta remember to sign these...

Anonymous said...

Such a nice tribute to our Dr. Goat whom many on this site have had interactions with through the years. For me, reading and seeing his passage through life so closely mirrored mine. The timing and heck, even the Fiat 850 experience, well, it seemed we had so very much in common. Thus his passage is not only difficult for all the Jr Gorillas, but it also hits me hard personally. My condolences to Peggy and the immediate family, as well as to the extended family here on GDB.

I can picture Nanook's "fully-functioning Disneyland" with Peter in it. And may I add, it will also have several other inhabitants, whom I called friends and co-workers, running the very attractions we all loved. KS

Major Pepperidge said...

Thank you for all the kind words about Peter, everybody!

Anonymous said...

As many have mentioned, it is delightful to see Dr.Goat grow up at the park. A beautiful tribute. Condolences.

MS

Chuck said...

Peggy, your husband is a wonderful, wonderful man. But you know this already. My heart grieves for your loss, and nothing I can say or do will take the pain you feel right now away. Know that you are in my prayers.

I am another fortunate soul who was blessed to have been able to interact with him over the years, both here and via other correspondence. We shared a love not only for Disneyland but also for the works of Tolkien, both of us possessing different printings of the same, single-volume edition of Frodo’s chronicles of the War of the Ring from The Red Book of Westmarch. I will always cherish the conversations, the pictures, and the things he sent me, and will think of him fondly whenever I travel to Middle-Earth in my mind’s eye.

Peter, my dear friend, you have set sail from the Grey Havens for the Undying Lands. I know that you are enjoying a world that is wonderful beyond our comprehension. Please don’t forget to look up my mom like you promised. She’ll be easy to find; she’ll be the one in the home-made Hawaiian dress celebrating her one-year Heavenly birthday today. Give her a hug for me. I miss you both.

Namárië, ar nai aistalë Eldar ar Atani ar ilyë Léralieron hilya le!

DKoren said...

Such sad news. My thoughts are with his family. The photo tribute was a really lovely idea, seeing time pass and a life well-lived unfold!

"Lou and Sue" said...

I'm sort-of at a loss for words, and stumbling over my thoughts....there's a lump in my throat and my heart aches. Getting to know Peter over the last 4 years (since I joined GDB) has been so much fun. What a unique and witty character. So very special to me and my dad.

I just spoke with Peggy, and she hopes to be on the computer, reading all of these comments, in a few days, as soon as she can. She's so busy with so much, at this moment. Thankfully, she has family and lots of friends who are there for her, especially now. I'm hoping she'll eventually join our group, as she's just as wonderful and fun as Peter. We'd love to have her become a Jr. Gorilla, too!

Major, your blog has been a blessing to so many people. We all stumbled onto GDB, never realizing how precious the friendships would become, as we share together about Disneyland and more. It's the little things in life that really do mean so much.

Peter, please check out that Disneyland castle in Heaven, and let me know if it has a dent, too!

Dean Finder said...

Major, thank you for this fine tribute to a dear friend.

Kathy! said...

Like the other Jr. Gorillas, I felt a sudden sadness seeing this post, late in the day. Yes, what a special person Peter was, sharing photos and memories of a fantastic life. I’ll miss Dr. Goat’s kind comments; my heart goes out to his family. Thank you for a touching post, Major.

Melissa said...

Peter's comments and pictures never failed to make me smile. It seems like he lived a very full life full of happy moments with loved ones, and that's pretty much the best we can hope for in this life. Big thanks to the Major for this lovely tribute.

Dennis said...

Sorry to hear the sad news.