Saturday, October 27, 2018

Two Random Scans

I need to get to a-scannin' some more stuff for my "Anything Goes Saturday" posts. I literally chose today's images at random, but there might be at least a Pennsylvania connection.

First up is this 1959 photo featuring some cool old automobiles, parked next to a grand old brick edifice  with a red keystone and "P-R-R" on the roof - the Pennsylvania Railroad. I am not even sure what kind of building this is - it looks like a factory rather than a station, but it's hard to say for sure. After a bit of Googling, I couldn't locate anything that resembled this place. 

Looking at the giant many-paned glass wall to the right, it appears that a lot of the lower panes have possibly been replaced. Perhaps they were a tempting target for little boys armed with stones? Anyway, it's a bit frustrating to not know where this is, but I still like it as a photo.


At first I thought that there wasn't much in this picture (possibly from the late 1940's?) to help in identifying the location, but of course there is the sign near the center - "Mansfield Diner". There was a Mansfield Diner in (where else?) Mansfield, Pennsylvania. This website has some info about various business in Mansfield, including a photo of a Mansfield Diner.

Meanwhile, I like the sign to the left, "Servicemen Recreation Center WELCOME".


The sign certainly seems to be a match, and the brick building next door sure bears a resemblance. I think that the photo below is newer than my photo, which might explain the fact that the windows are considerably different. But the two lanterns by the front door are there, and the rounded roof overhang is there too. I think we have a winner!


6 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I love old factory pics like the first one. I dig the patch of weeds along the parking lot too. I love old industrial zones and landscapes together.

Love the color in the second pic too with the wet street and wet cars and old grey brick building. Thanks, Major.

Nanook said...

Major-

Well, well, well... a bevy of beauties in the first image. It's kinda hard to tell what the first four vehicles are, but starting with the turquoise car - I think that's a 1955 Dodge; then would you believe a 1957 Plymouth-? The next car I want to say is a Hudson, but certain things aren't right. Next to that is (I think) a 1949 Chevrolet Fleetline. And finally, a 1954 Plymouth. In the second image, we start with a grey, 1947 Studebaker - First by far with a postwar car-! And as for the rest of the brood, I'm afraid my knowledge of those cars/years is beyond my "expertise" - such as it is - other than the last car, which is a 1940-? Packard.

Great work on ID-ing the Mansfield Diner. It's a beauty.

Thanks, Major.

Melissa said...

These two shots are packed with atmosphere. I love the colorful replacement windowpanes in the P.R.R. building, and I can practically smell the warm, welcoming scent of cooking food from the Mansfield Diner on a rainy day. Let's go in and get some home fries and coffee.

JC Shannon said...

It is rain mixed with snow here in the mountains, and kinda gloomy. These photos go perfectly with todays weather. The demise of the family diner is a shame. Each one had it's own personality and special dishes. I would love to see the interior. The cars outside speak to the popularity of this eatery. I'm with you Mellissa, I'll have coffee and a slice of Apple Pie, with a scoop of vanilla.

MIKE COZART said...

Looks like the Mansfield Diner is also an official GREYHOUND BUS LINE stop!!

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, I love pix like these too, I wish I had more! There’s something about picturing “real life” rather than vacation photos, or special occasions. This was just a train station (or whatever) and a diner.

Nanook, well, since the first photo is from 1957, I would believe that there is a 1957 Plymouth! I don’t know how you ID all those cars, with so many makes and models and variations over the years. Did you ever work with automobiles in any way, or are you just a fan?

Melissa, I assume those replacement panes have paint on them, but if so… WHY? I was hoping somebody could chime in and say, “Oh, I know what that building is!”. I hope the Mansfield Diner had good pies.

Jonathan, in L.A. it seems as if even the larger, more famous coffee shops are going the way of the dodo. The land is just too valuable to developers who want to build mixed-use luxury condos everywhere. I love looking at photos of vintage diners - I wish I had an interior of the Mansfield Diner.