Sunday, September 18, 2016

Rejects - Unrejected

Today I'm sharing two slides that originally wound up on the "reject" pile - a mound of slides so large that it can be seen from space with the naked eye! 

Looking at this one (from August 1958) now, I'm not entirely sure why I skipped it. The color is very nice, it's an unusual angle, and it has a nice 1950's feeling. Perhaps I was bothered by the slightly blurry people, but if so it doesn't bug me now. These guests are looking off of the edge-thingy of the Mark Twain doohickey. On shore is the Indian Village, accented with some charming skulls. Notice how high the berm is!


This next one is dated "January, 1962", and once again, it's kind of pretty, and another unusual angle, probably taken just in front of City Hall. The Opera House (decorated for Christmas) catches the last rays of sunlight while the rest of Town Square has taken on some cool evening hues. 

Notice that there are FOUR (count 'em) Horse Drawn Streetcars, and two Omnibuses (not to mention a Horseless Carriage and a horse that was pulling a Surrey). The Bank of America building looks genuinely old, but we know that it was completed less than seven years before this photo was taken.


I hope you have enjoyed today's "unrejects"!

9 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Both images are quite wonderful, but I'm really lovin' that first one. The way the horizon and sky seem to merge into one, it almost feels as if we're looking at a distant, large body of water. Who knew these folks were smack dab in the middle of Anaheim-?

And just what is going on right there in Town Square with all those Horse Drawn Street Cars-? It more resembles a trade show for street cars than Main Street, U.S.A.

Thanks, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

Four Horse Drawn Streetcars? Who knew?

Melissa said...

It's the four horse drawn streetcars of the Apocalypse!

Seriously though, the composition in both the shots is just great. The original photographers either had a really good eye or a stroke of luck.

K. Martinez said...

That second shot is really cool. It's like the Beach Street Revival in my hometown with lots of vehicles from yesteryear lined up. Thanks, Major.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, the only thing I can figure (regarding the streetcars) is that they were lining up at the end of the day in order to be taken backstage. Does that make any sense?

TokyoMagic!, I’d heard that there were four streetcars, but I am not sure I’d ever seen a photo of all four at once.

Melissa, somehow the apocalypse wouldn’t be so scary if it was led by four old-timey streetcars! Do I still need an “A” ticket?

K. Martinez, it wasn’t until I scanned the thing that I saw all four of the vehicles lined up; I was very happy to discover that fun detail.

Unknown said...

Wow! The legendary fourth streetcar! I can remember being surprised when I saw three streetcars operating early in the Park's history on the Your Host: Walt Disney DVD. Someone on one of the Disney sites mentioned a fourth streetcar and I thought, "Nah. No way." Now there's proof! I'm rambling on but I'm such a geek that this link is getting saved, no doubt.

Interesting shot of the Indian Village. The tipis all look so close together. And bushes! Who doesn't love bushes!

TokyoMagic! said...

Patrick, Disney doesn't love bushes! Or trees! :-(

I wonder when the last time they used all four Horse Drawn Streetcars at one time? I'm also wondering if all four cars are still on property and still fully functional for use on the tracks? I think I've mentioned this before, but one of the cars was converted so that it could be used all the way down the parade route for the 25th anniversary parade in 1980. Does anyone know if it was ever converted back?

Melissa said...

Do I still need an “A” ticket?

A is for Apocalypse.

Anonymous said...

The berm behind the Indian Village looks like how I expect the Star Wars Land berm to look next year when the River re-opens.

Fun stuff Major!.

JG