Saturday, July 03, 2010

Three From 1956

Today's photos can be categorized as "nice but not exciting". Please file them accordingly!

This first picture resembles the cover of the 1956 souvenir guide books, and I have to admit that it is a particularly swell photo of Sleeping Beauty's Castle. There's the short-lived sign (to the left) that helped you get your bearings. Ladies still wore skirts, except for that hussy with the shorts! Who does she think she is?


I know that I've looked at too many pictures of the Mark Twain when I am more interested in the relatively barren landscape behind it.


And no set of Frontierland photos would be complete without at least one of the old mill on Tom Sawyer Island. A family awaits the next raft back to the mainland. Notice the floating perimeter of the net that held the captive trout in the lower right.

3 comments:

Signed curious said...

In the first slide the sign on the left is a map, obviously, but what is that dark blue sandwich board to the right of the trash can? What is that's 75 cents? Photos?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

3 '56 Gems, thanks Major!

I like how simple the walkway was in front of the castle, now its so ornate it's like a work of art.

Did they really hold the fish captive with a net, I've never heard that before? I see a Keel Boat!!!!

Major Pepperidge said...

"Signed", you have good eyes! The legible part of that sandwich board says, "Photo Souvenir Here - 75 cents". There is some smaller text that I can't quite make out. I forgot to mention the lady in the red dress to the right too, I am not sure if she is a cast member or a guest.

Tim, I admit that I am just guessing that the net was for the fish. They had to keep them near the dock somehow!